The backlit keyboards are keyboards that contain light underneath the keyboard which helps us to identify all the buttons on the keyboard in low light or dark rooms. They are not only present to increase the aesthetic value of the keyboard but also offer notable advantages.
They help in quick response and are ideal for working at night or in low light conditions. The popularity of these keyboards has been on the rise for the past few years. If you are interested in getting your hands on your ideal backlit keyboard, this article is all you need.
Due to the several options available, while buying a backlit keyboard, it becomes very difficult to choose the correct one for you. We have listed some features which will prove to be helpful when choosing the backlit keyboard for you.
- LED Backlit Types: There are primarily three kinds of backlit keyboard types. The top model keyboards have individual key RGB lighting settings. The middle-range models have customizable colour options in very few areas. The lowest range backlit keyboards have few colours or even one colour in the case of some keyboards.
- Lighting Options: The lighting options are a primary feature of the backlit keyboards. They come in huge varieties like single light options, multiple color options, backlit patterns, modes and frequency.
- Size of the Keyboard: The size of the keyboard should be such that it fits in the given space. You can give up on the numeric keypad if you can work without it or when it takes too much of your desk space.
More details on the features to consider when buying a backlit keyboard are listed in the Buying Guide given later. We have also listed the 10 best-backlit keyboards with their advantages and disadvantages.
We have also curated a table with all the keyboards and their required specifications.
Best Backlit Keyboard 2023
Best Backlit Keyboard Reviews
1. Redragon Backlit Keyboard
The Redragon S101 membrane keyboards and gaming mouse is the combination that money can buy. The keyboard has 7 RGB backlighting moods and effects that offer uniform lighting, 4 brightness levels and customizable breathing speed which makes it an exceptional keyboard for gamers.
The keyboard features an integrated wrist rest to assist you during long hours of gaming. It has 25 key rollovers, 10 multimedia keys and 12 additional fn keys to increase your response time. Unlike many gaming keys, these are quiet and are able to offer the tactile feedback that you seek.
The combo pack also includes a mouse with a high-precision sensor and pinpoint accuracy. The gaming-grade micro switches and 9-piece weight tuning ensure better responsiveness and even better performance.
It is designed to withstand all rough handling. There is a full numeric keypad and a gold-plated USB connector for faster transmission and superior performance. It is compatible with all gaming laptops, consoles, Windows and macOS.
- 7 RGB lighting effects and 4 brightness levels
- 25 key rollovers
- 10 multimedia keys with 12 fn keys
- High-precision sensor mouse
- Precise tactile feedback keys
- Compatible with Windows and macOS
- Comes with a mouse.
- Built-in multimedia keys.
- The wrist rest support is not great
2. Razer Backlit Keyboard
Razer as a brand resonates with brilliance when it comes to mechanical keyboards customized for professional gaming. The brand value has put the keyboards on the higher end of the pay scale but the Razer Cynosa Chroma is among the best rubber-dome keyboards featuring impeccable RGB lighting with each key being individually lit.
Each backlit key can produce 16.8 million colors and hues. It’s an advanced gaming-grade keyboard featuring the Razer Cynosa Chroma that has everything that a gamer ever needs. Powered by Razer Synapse, it lets you rebind controls, assign macros and save all the settings to cloud storage.
It is designed to execute 10 commands at a time and comes with NKRO and anti-ghosting. With Razor Hypershift you can execute all sorts of keyboard remapping. Furthermore, it has an integrated Philips Hue that syncs backlighting with gaming moves. And it’s also compatible with almost all popular games, and gaming gears from 30 popular brands.
The textured surface of the keyboard prevents smudges and fingerprints and it is also spill-resistant. It does not include certain media keys and hence requires function key combinations.
- Individual RGB lighting with 16.8 million colors and hues
- Supports upto 80 million clicks
- Powered by Razor Synapse
- 104-key keyboard
- N-key rollover and anti-ghosting
- Fully programable macros
- It has a spill-resistant design.
- It feels better than most membrane keyboards of the same range.
- The textured surface prevents fingerprints and smudges.
- Does not feature a wrist rest.
3. Logitech Backlit Keyboard
The Logitech MX keys keyboard is an ideal office keyboard. It’s a wireless keyboard with automatic backlighting. The keys auto illuminate as soon as your hands touch the board and the brightness auto adjusts to the lighting conditions.
You get to adjust the brightness levels according to your preferences. It’s a monochromatic backlight keyboard that turns off after 5 seconds of inactivity. The keys are spherically dished shaped to resonate with the fingertips which offer great feedback with each click.
The entire keyboard is built on a single metal board ensuring a solid build. The keys offer higher responsiveness, enhanced stability and low noise operation ideal for long hours of working at the desk. The scissor switches and short travel distance of the fingers with low operating force and indented keys minimise misspellings.
You can pair three devices at one time without the hassle of repeated pairing processes.
It is compatible with all kinds of OS. It comes with a USB port C charge. A full charge lasts up to 10 days or 5 months with the backlight off.
- Wireless keyboard
- Smart illumination and automatic backlighting
- Spherically dished-shaped keys
- Quiet key with tactile response
- Compatible with all kinds of OS
- 1 year warranty
- Auto backlit
- Tactile design for increase productivity
- Wireless and Bluetooth functions
- Can pair up to 3 devices at once
- The backlit shuts off in 5 seconds
4. Perixx Backlit Keyboard
Perixx’s backlit keyboard is a great option for people on a budget. It features a low-profile chiclet keyboard with white LED-backlit keys that offers amazing visibility in the darkest environments.
The slim and sleek membrane keyboard features quiet yet very responsive keys that are great for continuous hours of typing. The chicklet design keyboard comes with larger keys with big letters and more space in between them which can reduce the likelihood of striking the wrong key.
The large printed keys allow more visibility. The backlit can also be turned off and on according to preference. The durable key switch has a life of 5 million times keypress. It even has the best quality ABS print to prevent keycap colour abrasion.
It is a wired USB interface and is compatible with Windows 7, 8, 10, 11 also 98/2000/ME/XP and Vista. It comes with a 12-months warranty.
- Chiclet design allows space between the keys
- Large, slim, and sleek design
- Even and bright LED backlit
- Eembra keyboard for silent and softer feedback
- 6 M long cable
- Features a slim sleek design
- Has quick response and allows accurate typing
- Good for continuous typing
- Not compatible with iOs devices
5. LANGTU Backlit Keyboard
Langtu Membrane keyboard is entirely resistant to accidental spills. Within a budget, you can get this backlit keyboard which offers 7 rainbows LED-colored backlit keys. That’s not it, you can change the brightness intensity as well as the breathing speed according to your preferences.
It comes with a 25-key rollovers which assists you while playing with complex commands and 12 multimedia keys to improve your efficiency. The membrane keyboard feedback is soft but very precise, which might not be as good as a mechanical keyboard but it does the job pretty decently.
The double-colour double-shot keycaps offer clarity and uniform brightness. Interestingly, each key has a lifespan of 5M clicks. It is built on an aluminium alloy panel which is why it is both durable and lightweight. It is compatible with all kinds of OS.
- 7-colour rainbow backlight
- 25 key anti-ghosting
- 12 multimedia keys
- Adjustable brightness and breathing speed
- Aluminium alloy panel with cool brushed metal keys
- 5 M clicks
- Great lifespan
- Adjustable backlit
6. NPET Backlit Keyboard
The NPET K510 series gaming keyboard is the best budget backlit keyboard for gamers as well as office workers. It features a 7 color rainbow LED-backlit with 3 modes, brightness controls and adjustable breathing speeds.
The high-quality keyboard features liquid silicone conductive film which offers good resilience. It’s strong, sturdy and comes with an integrated wrist rest. The stair step key layout design gives you an edge over the typing speed and angle.
It features 19 key anti-ghosting that allows you to press many keys simultaneously increasing your efficiency and gaming responsiveness. There are also 13 types of multimedia keys to improve your work efficiency and 4 interchangeable W, A, S, D keys. The UV-coated keycaps with injection ABS grade keycaps make sure the letters never fade away.
The key caps are removable, so cleaning is hassle-free. Also, its water-resistant to accidental spills are not a thing to worry about. It will automatically enter into sleep mode after 10 minutes of inactivity. It’s compatible with both Windows and Mac OS.
- 7 color LED backlit
- 3 modes, adjustable brightness and breathing frequency
- Anti ghosting
- 13 multimedia keys
- 4 interchangeable W, A S, and D keys
- Wrist rest and stepped key layout
- 3 LEd backlit modes
- Quiet keys
- Good quality for the price
7. Rii Three Backlit Keyboard
This is another option for those who are willing to buy an LED-backlit keyboard-mouse combination. It’s a simple LED backlit membrane keyboard. You can adjust the brightness level, and breathing frequency.
You can choose from 3 different color keyboards which are cyan, blue and green. The standard membrane keyboard keys are quieter hence great for office work. It’s not built for hardcore gaming, but gaming won’t hurt as the build quality is solid.
You can also change the mouse resolution ranging between 1200/1600/2400 3DPI. It also allows you to change the breathing frequency and cursor sensitivity. It comes with multiple Fn keys for different tasks. And has 12 month warranty on it.
- Wired membrane keyboard
- LED backlit
- Keyboard mouse combination
- 3 different colors to choose from: cyan, blue and green
- Value for money
- Quiet and responsive
- Good for typing and office works.
8. Mafiti Backlit Keyboard
Mafiti has brought to you an ideal office style design keyboard with LED backlit to help you type in the dark. It’s a simple white LED light that does its job of lighting up the keys when you need them. However, you have the option to increase or decrease the brightness.
The other features include 12 multimedia keys, a tilt stand, non-slip pads and a 1.6 M long cable.
We love the low-profile layout which enables a smooth and easy typing experience. The ergonomic design and the tilt stands with non-slip pads ease your hand from fatigue.
No software is needed to install the keyboard. It features a total of 104 keys of which 12 are multimedia keys. There’s no anti-ghosting hence we don’t recommend this for gaming purposes. The keyboard has a lifetime of 5 million clicks. It is compatible with almost all OS including Mac laptops, and notebooks.
- Simple single colour backlight keyboard
- Wired USB keyboard
- 104 full-size keyboards with 12 multimedia keys
- Features tilt stands and non-slip pads
- Compatible with all devices.
- Keyboard life of 5 million clicks
- The keyboard makes loud sounds while typing
9. EVGA Backlit Keyboard
For those who were looking for RBG backlit keyboards, here’s another option for you. The EVGA keyboard features a 5 zone RBG backlit with 5 lighting effects which are breathing, wave, pulse, trigger and static.
There are more things to love about this keyboard like its PI32 level water-resistant which means it’s very much capable of withstanding accidental spills. You get 5 programmable macro keys, dedicated media keys Cherry MX compatible stems.
You can use Cherry MX compatible keycaps and customize the keyboard according to your taste. The RGB lighting is dimmable. The keys are semi-quiet, or in other words, it’s louder than membrane keyboards and quieter than mechanical ones. But you will enjoy the responsiveness. It’s good for both gaming and general typing.
- Customizable RGB backlit
- 5 macro keys with dedicated media keys
- Spill resistant
- Cherry MX compatible
- Good value for the price
- Good for both gaming and general typing
- Durable and water-resistant
10. KopJippom Backlit Keyboard
This backlit keyboard by KopJippom features 4 times larger keys than any other keyboard for maximum visibility. The keys are slightly spaced and have big printed letters which reduce the chances of pressing the wrong keys.
It’s LED backlighted and is available in only white color. Though it allows you to set breathing frequency, and increase/decrease brightness. We like that the backlit keys are big, bright and evenly distributed.
It is a complete QWERTY keyboard with 104 keys. The ergonomic tilt stand reduces hand fatigue and the anti-slip back helps to keep the keyboard stable. It is compatible with both Windows and Mac OS.
- 4 times larger keys to avoid misspellings
- 104 key QWERTY keyboard
- Adjustable brightness of the backlight
- Slightly spaced keys
- RGB LED
- Compatible with all devices
- Anti-slip back
- The letters might wear off sooner than expected.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Backlit Keyboard
As we know by now, backlit keyboards are not just aesthetic devices. They have their value. There is an amazing range of backlit keyboards but the lighting options should not be the only criteria for selecting the keyboard. We have listed some important features to consider before buying the backlit keyboards.
1. LED Backlit
There are several kinds of backlighting that are featured in the backlit keyboards. Let us discuss the several types below:
- The top-model keyboards feature individual key RGB lighting.
- The middle-range keyboards feature only a few areas of customizable lighting.
- While the lowest range keyboards feature fixed lighting which is not as exciting as the other two.
Each kind of lighting makes a huge difference to the keyboards. On top of that, some keyboards feature special lighting for various gaming functions, such as low HP, gaming lights for reloads and energy changes(in-game) etc.
There are also some flashing effects on the backlit keyboards. The most common among them are gaming mode with WASD keys lit, ripple effect, and breathing effect.
The switches are the most basic parts of the keyboards. The switches are found underneath the keys which decide the feel and the performance of the keyboard. The most common kinds of switches are elaborated below:
- The rubber-dome switches: They are suitable for an average user. They do not feel as nice as the mechanical switches and are not as responsive as them. However, they are water-resistant and can handle accidental spills.
- Mechanical switches: The mechanical switches are perfect for gamers and professional typers. It allows fast response and has a great feel and texture. These switches also allow the user to customize the individual keycaps.
There is also a third kind of switch known as the scissor switches which feels better than the rubber-dome switches. But, they are not as good as the mechanical switches.
3. Lighting Controls
There are several criteria when you talk about the lighting options on the keyboard. There are modes and types of lighting to the choice of colours available, adjustment of the intensity of the light, to controlling the device features. We already know that there are even multicoloured lighting options in case of backlit keyboards.
The budget-friendly keyboards come with less choice of colours. There are also a variety of keyboards with more range. On top of that, backlit keyboards let you enjoy several effects, according to the keyboard design. The most common type is the one which changes the colour of the lighting according to your preference.
4. Size of the Keyboard
The keyboard size depends on the number of keys on the keyboard and how those keys are set up. The keyboard size also varies depending on the language. According to the USA standard, the keyboard can be of three sizes:
- The QWERTY model has two options of extended keyboard and a tenkeyless(TKL) model. The first one has 105 keys while the second one has 88 keys which do not feature the pad.
- The third model is the one with only 62 keys. This design eliminates all the non-essential keys, such as the media control keys or the function keys.
5. Wireless vs Wired
The wireless keyboards provide you with freedom and comfort. They allow you to use them from as far as 30 feet away from the computer setup. However, the lighting options consume much more energy so you need to change the batteries regularly or recharge them from time to time.
If your primary requirement for a backlit keyboard is to play video games, always go for the wired option. The response time for these keyboards is relatively shorter.
There are some options which can function on both wired and wireless modes. This helps you to choose the appropriateness depending on the work you want to do.
6. Mechanical vs Membrane keyboards
Mechanical keyboards are among the best keyboards which feature amazing sensitivity, ergonomic design, longer lifespan, and quick response time. It is a more expensive option and is the professional choice of keyboards. A mechanical keyboard is recommended for professional gamers and those who mainly use the keyboard for typing as it will improve their productivity to a great extent.
While the membrane keyboards are quieter, economical and have a more compact design.
It is one of the essential features when selecting any backlit keyboard. If you are an extensive user of the keyboard, go for the one with an ergonomic design. The ergonomic design means that the placement of the keys is according to the hand position of the user.
You have to be about the use of the keyboard before you decide which keyboard you are settling for. Most users would think that backlit keyboards are only good for gaming purposes but that is not true. Backlit keyboards are good for programming, office tasks, business, or browsing webs. If you are sure how you will use the keyboard and how you will keep it or plug it makes it easier to choose the perfect keyboard for you.
The gamer should go for the gaming-specific design of the keyboard. Also, mechanical keyboards can be a good option as they have a short response time and provide higher sensitivity. If you are not an extensive user of the keyboard, you are investing in a keyboard with fewer lighting options and a simpler design.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ans: The backlit keyboards are deemed worthy as they are ideal for low-lit or dark rooms. They are suitable for competitive gamers and offer customization options. Also, the keys will not fade easily and the keyboards have an aesthetic appeal themselves.
Ans: The expensive backlit keyboards offer many colour options and a high colour spectrum. The low-budget ones come with limited light colour options while the lowest backlit keyboard comes with even one colour option.
Ans: For the lower-end backlit, this option is not available but in the case of the high-end backlit keyboards, you can even customize the colours for each key.
Ans: The backlit keyboards are a must for professional gamers because finding the correct key at the correct time is crucial for them. Apart from gamers, it is also suited for people who work in low-light conditions or at night. It is also a good investment for cyber cafes and nightlife centres.
Ans: In gaming, the difference of seconds can result in winning or losing crucial points in the game. The response time of the backlit keyboards is quick. Additionally, the backlit keyboards enable the user to press the right keys at the right time in low light or dark settings. So, there is no chance of giving the wrong command by the gamer.
The backlit keyboards are a must if you are a gamer who plays in low-lit or dark rooms or has to work at night.
They are great to help for times when you don’t want to wake your partner up but still need to work late hours. They are just good investments and people who own one, will never want to buy a keyboard which doesn’t light up.
Whether you buy an RGB one or a regular one with LED backlit rest assured that the keys will not fade easily. And besides, why shouldn’t you buy a keyboard which has an aesthetic appeal to it?
If you are confused, here are our 3 best suggestions:
- If you have no budget boundaries, we would suggest you go with Redragon Backlit Keyboard and Mouse Combo. It’s the best buy for gamers who are obsessed with RGB lighting. You get 7 RGB backlit modes and effects, 25 key rollover, anti-ghosting, 12 multimedia keys, high-precision tactile feedback and a gaming mouse with 3200 DPI.
- If you need this only to work late at night go with Logitech Backlit Keyboard. It has smart LED illuminated keyboards with spherically disk-shaped keys that resonate with your fingers and aid in a faster, smoother typing experience. It’s wireless and comes with a 1-year warranty.
- If you are a hardcore gamer but on a budget, you can go with Razer Backlit Keyboard. It is an individually illuminated key that can produce 16.8 M colors and hues. Its power by Razor Synapse has anti-ghosting and dedicated multimedia keys. Above all, the keyboard life is upto 80 M click. Can you beat that?