The very first priority of the homeowners is to keep it safe and secure. There are, fortunately, several devices to rely on to ensure that we all enjoy a sound sleep at night. From burglar alarms to smoke detectors, these technologically advanced tools can make us feel comfortable in our homes. However, when it comes to airborne threats like Radon, which is a radioactive gas, very few of us actually stay protected against it. Using a Radon detector can be an excellent choice for homes as it can detect the accurate reading of Radon and provide an alarm if it goes beyond the acceptable limit. So let us take a look at the most vital features that should always be kept in mind while choosing.
Top Features to Look At Buying the Best Radon Detector
- Type of Detector: The first important factor you must consider while choosing a radon detector is the type of device. Generally, there is active and passive radon testing. Active devices generally use electric power for functioning and provide an hourly reading. It actually includes continuous monitoring and tends to be costlier than others. On the other hand, passive devices are less expensive as they include short- and long-term devices. These include charcoal liquid scintillation and charcoal canisters. However, if you have just started using the radon detector, it is better to choose an active detector initially to monitor the radon levels.
- Alarm System: The radon detectors are designed to provide continuous information about the radon gas presence. These detectors also come with an alarm system to let you know when the availability of radon gas is more than the acceptable limit. So, when choosing a detector based on your knees, make sure you choose an alarm system. These are available in either audio or visual alarm systems, which help to give information to everyone. Audio and visual alarms can be highly effective for impaired or hearing people.
- Power Source: All these detectors require a good power source to function. So when you choose one, you must be sure about the type of power source the detector has. Most of them include the need for batteries to work and function, while others are corded electrical appliances that continuously provide readings. So depending on your requirements, if you want a portable Radon detector, a battery source would be better, while if you want to install it in one place, you can choose the corded electric version.
So, these are some of the most vital features you should always pay attention to while choosing a radon detector. However, you must keep a fair expectation that there are several other important factors to consider while buying. If you want to find the factors to consider in detail, you can check out the “Buying Guide”. But now we will find out the top few Best radon detectors and their specifications so that you can make an informed decision. So without any further talking, let’s check out the best Radon detectors available in the market.
Best Radon Detectors Table
Best Radon Detectors Reviews
When it comes to ensuring the safety of our homes, checking the airborne threats using a radon detector can be a great step. Airthings is the name of one such brand that works with the only agenda of empowering families to become better by breathing better. This brand’s high-quality home Radon device ensures five times better air inside your home. This small and highly powerful machine works exceptionally well in detecting radon gas.
As radon gas is present around us, but the level keeps fluctuating, there is a need for these detectors to be able to monitor continuously. This high-quality device provides an indication in the first 24 hours and gets even more accurate with time. The accuracy improves the more it is used. This device can offer 5% of the real radon level within two months.
Integrated with a state of the art technology by the use of a testing sensor, you will be able to get meaningful results. It is a simple battery-operated device that can be placed anywhere. Once you have installed the battery, this Radon detector can be tested for the next two years. It requires 3 AAA Batteries to work. Offering both audio and visual alarms by this device helps to get information about the radon level.
The on-screen readings help you to check the reports quickly whenever you require. It provides both short-term and long-term readings to overview the levels quickly. This is a portable device that offers continuous monitoring. The company offers five years of an extended warranty if required so that you can safely breathe in your home.
- Requires 3 AAA batteries to power this device.
- It weighs only 0.22 pounds.
- The upper temperature and lower temperature rating is 104° and 39°F.
- You can get both audio and visual alarms.
- On-screen reading of both short and long-term reports.
- Offers 5% actual radon level within two months of installation.
- State of the art sensor for actual radon testing.
- A portable device.
- Easy to use.
- Overall it is a good product.
- Very easy to find the readings.
- Not sure about the reading accuracy.
As we spend almost 90% of our time indoors, it is often a need to ensure the quality of air inside our homes. While we take every single action to make sure of safety and security, a radon detector can be an additional advantage. Airthings is a known brand working to provide users with high-quality devices to breathe better. This essential home technology ensures fresh air for professionals, businesses, and homeowners.
It is a tiny battery-operated machine that can continuously monitor indoor air. The machine has been designed with 6 sensors so that this device has multipurpose functionality. It can sense humidity, temperature, CO2, VOCs, air pressure, and humidity. Using this device continuously ensures indoor air quality and prevents illness.
The availability of the app and its online dashboard will help you to know and get notified about every tiny change in the internal air pressure. It can be installed on both Android and iOS devices. You can get local and live data from the app. Tracking the pollen levels will also optimize indoor air quality. It is also compatible with other devices like Alexa and Google Assistant for easy voice control.
This device requires 2 AA batteries which would help you to take this device everywhere easily. The device visually provides color-coded indications to inform you about the interior air quality. It is mainly indicated in green, which means good; yellow means fair and red means poor air quality. Apart from this, if you wish you can also improve and extend the warranty.
- The device needs 2 AA batteries to run.
- Provides accurate radon measures.
- Helps you to find six vital factors: Carbon dioxide, radon, VOCs, air pressure, temperature, and humidity.
- It can be connected with Bluetooth.
- Visual indicators where red means poor, yellow means fair, and red means poor.
- Measurement accuracy is 10 % after 7 days.
- It also works with Google Assistance and Amazon Alexa.
- The manufacturer offers 5 years of extended warranty.
- Check the air quality.
- Very easy to use.
- Setting up is simple.
- Provides a peace of mind.
- Not sure about the accuracy.
A brand that makes sure to provide high-quality devices and ensures the inside air quality is certainly a great choice. Safety Siren is a name of a brand that provides a permanent solution. The high-quality Radon gas detector offered by this brand ensures peace of mind. Keeping in mind the need for safety, this brand has continuously provided high-quality family safety products.
This detector uses the kit for home testing and is a continuous device that tests for radon gas monitoring. You can find it easy to get reading on this digital radon detector. The display provides long-term and short-term average levels. Remember that exposure to this gas can result in lung cancer. Continuous monitoring mitigates such risks.
It is a US EPA-evaluated product that has multiple features. The device is integrated with an audible Alarm system for long-term use. The display updates are provided hourly so that you can take immediate action. Therefore, a functional menu button is present in the device where green illuminates after the L or S display.
The device also provides the freedom to test the operation manually. It also has a button to reactivate or mute audible alarms when required. Apart from this, the manufacturer also offers one year of warranty for the product.
- Integrated with home testing kits.
- Displays both short and long-term levels.
- The US EPA evaluated the product.
- Audible alarm systems.
- Designed with a functional menu button.
- The manufacturer offers 1 year of warranty.
- Provides hourly updates.
- Easy to use.
- Tests are fairly simple.
- Low radon levels seem accurate.
- Ensures peace of mind.
- Some users were not happy with the readings.
Ecosense is one of the top brands offering high-quality products to ensure safety. This particular product has been designed to fast detect and monitor invisible gasses. It is easy to set up and offers real-time reading. The devices do the very first reading within 10 minutes. It has an easy plug-and-play functionality that allows the device to be used everywhere.
This device provides proper performance by using patented radon detection technology. It delivers high-quality results through the use of technology. The sensitivity of this device is 30 counts every hour. It has been designed for you to monitor indoor levels easily and how it can impact breathing.
It allows you to track radon levels and then save the data for up to a year. You can later analyze the levels over long and short-term periods and then make a good decision. It requires a corded electric power source and has simple plug-and-play functionality. The audible alarm system helps you to understand when the levels are higher.
The best part about this device is that it comes with an application that can be downloaded on your smartphone. It is compatible with both Android and iOS devices. The real-time results can also be checked on the OLED screen provided in the device itself. The manufacturer also offers 12 months of limited warranty and customer support through email.
- Runs on corded electricity.
- Simple plug-and-play electrical device.
- Continuous long-term monitoring.
- Ability to save 1 year of data in the device.
- Audible alarms, when exceeded the EPA recommended levels.
- The real-time display on the OLED screen.
- It can be easily connected to iOS and Android smartphones.
- 1 year of the limited warranty and customer service support through email.
- Simple to use.
- Accurate radon tracking.
- A great device for your home.
- The device works on apps.
- The app works only through a small distance.
Safety Siren is one of the popular names that is continuously known for offering great quality devices for home safety. This brand has been working for more than 25 years and manufacturing high-quality products for home safety. This fourth-generation radon detector has been manufactured especially for homes to help them continuously detect air quality.
This fourth-generation device has been specially designed, manufactured, and engineered in the US. It offers both long-term and short-term radon levels with easy-to-read display settings. Keeping in mind the need for a proper alarm system, the manufacturer has designed three audible alarm modes. It runs on corded electricity and hence is a simple plug-and-play device that can be used everywhere.
Apart from the three audible alarm systems that you can choose from, it also includes a visual alarm. It has been specially designed for hearing-impaired people. The backlight mode has been provided for a seamless viewing experience through the digital display. As it performs self-tests 24 hours every day, you can stay assured about the air quality inside your home.
- Premium quality products designed, manufactured, and engineered in the US
- Provide continuous monitoring of long-term and short-term levels
- Designed with an easy-to-read display
- Three audible modes of alarm to let you know when the levels are higher.
- Visual alarms for people who have a hearing impairment.
- Designed with a backlight mode for simple viewing of the display.
- The device goes through a self-test every 24 hours.
- It has a rating of 104°F and 41°F for upper and lower temperature ratings.
- Design with both the visual and audible alarm system.
- Very easy to use.
- Works great.
- Peace of mind as it does not require batteries.
- Works as it is advertised.
- Not sure about the accuracy levels.
If you want to remain guaranteed about the detector, you need a reliable brand. Something reliable and reputed as Elifecity is an excellent choice. The high-quality instrument manufactured by this brand is known for its state-of-the-art ability. It is a combination of performance and easy usage. This high-quality device helps you to get proper readings on the levels.
The availability of LCD screen displays makes it easy for you to get average weekly, daily, and long time readings. The device requires a rechargeable battery to work. The measurement you find on the monitor from one room to another makes it easy for you to understand the concentration at home. As it fluctuates daily, this quality device can be beneficial for finding accurate measurements.
The on-screen display makes it easier to get everything the information from short-term average to low battery level. Designed with 3 radon level fluctuations and needs 2 batteries to power the device. It uses an alpha spectrometry detection method. The accuracy of the device is 5% ± 0.14 pCi/L.
- It offers weekly and daily reports.
- Utilizes Alpha spectrometry detection process.
- Needs 2 rechargeable batteries to power the device.
- The device’s accuracy is 5% ± 0.14 pCi/L.
- Offers a visual alarm system.
- Easy use and great performance of the device.
- Good quality product
- Gives reading every 24 hours.
- Works pretty well.
- No warranty information was provided by the manufacturer.
- Accuracy is not precise.
Buying Guide for the Best Radon Detectors
Now that you have got complete knowledge about the different radon detectors available in the market, along with checking their specifications, it will become easier for you to decide on one.
However, if you have planned to buy a radon detector that is not included in this list, there is a need for you to take a look into the essential factors before deciding to purchase a detector. You should consider the following critical parameters when choosing a radon detector.
1. Type of Detector
The very first thing that you should check is the type of radon detector provided by the manufacturer. These are generally either active or passive radon detectors. Active detectors use power for functioning and offer hourly readings, whereas active devices are less expensive and require batteries for monitoring. However, active detectors can be a good choice if you have just started using a radon detector.
2. Alarm System
The next important thing you should definitely check is the alarm system of the detectors. As these detectors offer continuous or hourly reading, it keeps measuring the radon level in your home. In case the measurement goes beyond the recommended parameter, it immediately provides an alarm. Therefore, you need to check out the type of alarm included in the device. Some provide audio, and others provide a visual alarm. However, some brands offer both audio and visual alarms.
3. Power Source
The next important thing is the power source of the radon detector. Every device requires a good power source, and so does the detector. Most of the detectors use a battery as a power source. While some require corded electricity, it comes with simple plug-and-play functionality. Checking the power source in advance can make it easy to use and decide.
Accuracy is one of the prime concerns of radon detectors. Even when not all, but most of the radar detectors go through a level of proficiency testing. According to the US environmental protection agency, there is a need for the device to be less than or equal to 20.0%. The precision error of the device must be lesser or equal to 20.0%.
4. Type of Screen Display
The radon detectors are included with screen displays. Some have smaller LED screen displays, while others have large ones. Depending on your requirement and budget, you can find a screen display. However, you can stay assured that even the small screen display will be able to provide you with the information that you need regularly. LED screen displays are always beneficial.
Do not forget to check the warranty of the device. Most brands provide at least a year of warranty for the device. However, some do not. You can also check out the customer support service, as it might become handy sometime. However, we will always recommend you choose a brand that provides a guarantee for the product as it offers a piece of mind.
Radon Detectors FAQs
Ans: Yes. Most of these devices you find in the market have been tested and then provided to the public. The brands that have been mentioned here are known for their reputation of constantly providing high-quality products for health and safety. However, it is always a need for you to check the accuracy level before choosing a detector.
Ans: There are several groups which include charcoal liquid scintillation detectors, charcoal canisters, and alpha track detectors. These are the three different types of detectors available. However, the performance depends on the brand and the technologies used.
Ans: Radon is generally measured in picocuries per liter. The average level of Radon indoors is 1.3 PCI/L, and the outside air is normally around 0.4 PCI/L. According to the EPA, there is a need to take action to reduce indoor radon levels when it gets more than 4.0 PCI/L.
Ans: There is no such particular smell or taste of radon gas, so it can be really harmful. As you cannot smell or see this gas, it can slowly harm you. Radon is generally odorless, colorless, and radioactive gas.
With all the information provided to you, it is now time for you to check out the top three editor’s choices.
- Airthings Radon Detector is overall the best quality device of radon detector. It is an exceptionally high-quality product with the capability of discovering airborne threats. The device starts monitoring within the first 24 hours and gets accurate with time. The state-of-the-art technology and testing sensors provide accurate results. You can get on-screen readings of both long-term and short-term measurements. The device requires 3AAA batteries as a power source.
- SafetySiren Radon Detector is an affordable choice for you. This high-quality device makes sure of the air quality inside your home. The detector uses a home testing kit for radon gas monitoring. You can get knowledge of both short and long-term levels. You can get hourly display updates and take action accordingly. Apart from this, it also has a mute and reactivate button for manually changing the settings.
- SafetySiren Pro4 Radon Detector is a feature-packed product with exceptional features. This particular 4th generation device has been engineered, designed, and manufactured in the US. You get both short and long-term levels of knowledge from the easy-to-read display settings. It also contains three audible alarm modes and is a corded electric device. The backlight mode offers seamless viewing and self-tests every 24 hours, ensuring the air quality inside your home.
So, with all the information that you have gathered, it is now time for you to decide on one and ensure the air quality