A 14-inch laptop is powerful enough to cater to all the requirements and carry out all the tasks but it is compact enough to carry with you wherever you go. When using tablets or smartphones, people only realize that the laptop is far better for gaming, video editing or writing a research paper. We have provided a guide that will answer all your questions regarding a 14-inch laptop.
There are several specifications that you need to keep in mind when buying a 14-inch laptop. We have listed some basic yet important factors that will help you select your best one.
- CPU Series and Speed: The CPUs are highly responsible for the performance of the laptop. You need to check that it caters to all the requirements that you want the laptop to fulfil. The best option according to endurance and performance is the Apple M1 and M2 chips but they are expensive. If you want a balance between performance and pricing, go for Intel Core i5 or i7 or AMD Ryzen 5000 and 6000 series.
- Capacity: The capacity is also an important consideration when you are looking for laptops. For the RAM bit, you should not settle for anything less than 8 GB and 32 GB is more than enough for any user. It is better to look for an internal SSD rather than hard disk as the performance will be enhanced by 3 times.
- Battery Life: The battery life will determine how ideal a laptop is for you to work at home or office when the power outlet is not near. It is suggested to go for those that have a battery life of 9 hours and it is discouraged to go for anything with a battery life below 7 hours.
More details on the things to consider are discussed in the “Buying Guide” given later in the article. In the following section, we have talked about the best 14-inch laptops with their most notable features, advantages and drawbacks. Read on to know all about them and make the best choice.
Best 14-inch Laptop Table
Best 14-inch Laptop Reviews
1. Apple M2 pro 14-inch Laptop
The configuration does not matter as the Apple Macbook Pro 14 is class apart. This 14-inch laptop is loaded with a comfortable keyboard, high-resolution camera, powerful speakers and amazing looks.
The real USP of this laptop is their M2 Max and M2 Pro chips that offer better efficiency and power to the user. The connectivity is also enhanced with the WiFi 6E, SDXC card slot, three thunderbolt ports, HDMI port and Magsafe 3 charging point with a headphone jack. It also features 1080p Facetime HD camera with a studio-quality three-mic array and surround sound spatial audio. Further, they offer a magic keyboard and innovative touch ID login.
The ultimate display is ensured with XDR display and the ease of use is enhanced with the cloud login. It also has easy connectivity with all other Apple devices. It also has impeccable 18 hours of battery life.
- CPU Series: Apple M2 Pro
- Capacity: 1 TB SSD
- Battery Life: Up to 18 hours
- High-resolution camera.
- Comfortable magic keyboard.
- Touch ID login.
- Ultimate display.
- If you work in intel apps, this is not a great choice.
2. Apple M1 pro 14-inch Laptop
This Apple variant is no less in performance and is powered by the M1 Max and M1 pro chips which offer spectacular battery life and path breaking performance. This notebook is worth all the hype and the money for all the features that it has to offer.
The M1 chips can handle 8K video editing quite easily and offers battery life of 21 hours. The graphics performance is enhanced by 13 times and the machine learning by 11 times. This features a 10-core CPU with a 16-core of each GPU and neutral engine, combined with a unified memory of 32 GB and up to 20 streams. The display is smooth with the XDR technology and the video calls are crystal clear with the 1080p facetime HD camera. Also, the connectivity is better than ever with the HDMI, SDXC, headphone jack and Thunderbolt 4 with a charging port of MagSafe 3.
All the Apple devices can be paired with it easily and everything is made accessible with just one cloud login to the Apple ID.
- CPU Series: Apple M1 Pro
- Capacity: 16 GB/ 1 TB SSD
- Battery Life: Up to 17 hours
- M1 chips can easily handle 8K video editing.
- Amazing connectivity.
- 1080p camera.
- Great graphics performance.
- Some users complained about issues with the cord.
3. Dell Inspiron 14-inch Laptop
If you are looking for a durable and reliable 14-inch laptop with a long battery life, this is the one that you should settle for. The long battery life helps you with all your tasks throughout the day and makes it perfect for everyday use.
This laptop optimises the eye comfort with the DC dimming which reduces the flicker and the ComfortView Plus technology which minimises the harmful blue light emissions without compromising on the true-to-life colours. The performance is enhanced with the 12th gen Intel core H-series processors and Intel Iris graphics for enhancing the best performance. It comes with 1 TB SSD storage and 8 GB RAM. It enables fast charging which can charge your laptop to 80% in 60 minutes and 35% in 20 minutes. The connectivity is increased with the ports and slots.
The brand offers 2 year warranty and one-year free subscription of Microsoft 365 Personal Annual Subscription and a 24-month McAfee LiveSafe Subscription.
- CPU Series: Intel i7-12700H
- Capacity: 16 GB/ 1TB SSD
- Battery Life: Up to 16 hours
- Long battery life.
- 1 TB SSD storage.
- Fast charging.
- 2 year warranty.
- People had problems with the customer service.
4. Lenovo 14-inch Laptop
This Lenovo IdeaPad 3i gives complete freedom with the 12th Gen Intel Core i5 U series processors. With the 14-inch FHD display enhanced by the 4-sided narrow bezels, it offers better contrast and colour accuracy.
The laptop enables better calls and conferences with the integrated HD webcam with privacy shutter, two Dolby audio speakers and dual microphones. It also allows you to incorporate AI into your work with seamless wireless connectivity. Additionally, it has a battery life of 6 hours which can be extended to 10 hours by adjusting the video quality. The connectivity is better with the Bluetooth, WiFi, USB ports, HDMI ports and an audio jack.
It is lightweight and has a slim design which allows you to carry it to your work every day.
- CPU Series: Intel i5-1235U
- Capacity: 8 GB DDR4/ 256 GB SSD
- Battery Life: Up to 11 hours
- Has 256 GB storage and 8 GB memory.
- 14-inch FHD display.
- Lightweight and slim design.
- Extendable battery life.
- Trackpad was not up to the mark according to some users.
5. Acer Swift 3 14-inch Laptop
Be it long battery life, responsiveness or high battery life, this Acer 14-inch laptop offers it all. With the Intel i7 processor, it also offers 12 MB Intel Smart Cache, 8 threads and 4 cores for better performance.
It offers a 14-inch Full HD wide LED backlit screen that is enhanced with the Intel Iris Xe Graphics. The capacity of the laptop is determined by the 8 GB RAM and 256 GB SSD. On top of that, the connectivity is taken care of with the USB ports, wireless WiFi. The security is enhanced with the Bio Protection Fingerprint Solution. The battery life is spectacular with 16 hours of non-stop functioning.
The communication is also taken care of with the HD webcam and the 2x purified voice mic. It has a light, modern and thin body.
- CPU Series: Intel i7-1165G7
- Capacity: 8 GB DDR4/ 256 GB SSD
- Battery Life: Up to 16 hours
- Bio Protection Fingerprint sensor.
- 16 hour battery life.
- Light, modern and thin body.
- Intel i7 processor.
- Some users faced problems with the power and loud fan.
6. ASUS 14-inch Laptop
With the AMD Ryzen 9 6900 HS CPU with 16 threads and 8 cores, this ASUS laptop can handle the AAA games. The Windows 11 OS makes it easier to operate and efficient in performance.
The ultra-fast GPU is enough to fuel the games and the SmartShift Max Technology can shift power in the laptop to boost performance in content creation and gaming. The graphics card memory is enhanced with the Smart Access memory which offers high-speed performance. Plus, the display is made better with the ROG Nebula display with a resolution of 2560 X 1600. Multitasking is also easier with the dual channel DDR5 memory as compared to single channel.
The connectivity is top-notch with the HDMI and USB ports. Additional features include WiFi 6 E, Windows Hello, Backlit keyboard and 720p IR camera.
- CPU Series: AMD Ryzen 9 – 6900HS
- Capacity: 16 GB DDR5/ 1 TB SSD
- Battery Life: Up to 11 hours
- Efficient in performance.
- Easier to operate.
- ROG Nebula display.
- Multitasking is made easier.
- Users complained that the battery does not last long.
7. ASUS ZenBook 14-inch Laptop
This is one of the lightest 14-inch laptops that you will find in the store. It is thin, light and unbelievably compact. The connectivity is enhanced with the USB and HDMI ports with the MicroSD card reader.
With fast charging technology, it has a 15 hour battery life and can restore 60% charge in just 49 minutes. The display is clear and bright with the 90% screen-to-body ratio and a 4-sided Nanoedge display. Further, it has an ergonomic keyboard with a hinge design which enables the best typing angle.
It has a military-grade durability with high-quality testing for all the laptops. It enables multitasking by connecting to several devices at the same time.
- CPU Series: AMD Ryzen 9 – 5900HX
- Capacity: 16 GB DDR4/ 1 TB SSD
- Battery Life: Up to 15 hours
- Fast charging technology.
- Lightweight and easily portable.
- Military-grade durability.
- NanoEdge display.
- Little on the expensive side.
8. Acer Swift X 14-inch Laptop
With impeccable battery life, you can speed your tasks up with the AMD Ryzen 7 processor. It also comes with the Zen 3 Core Architecture which saves time and allows more time for creating.
The laptop offers a 14-inch full HD LED-backlit IPS display with a 16:9 ratio. The capacity is amazing with the 16 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD. Moreover, the connectivity is modern with the WiFi 6 Dual-band and Bluetooth version 5.2. The biometric fingerprint takes care of security and does not allow any trespassers. The audio quality is better with the DTS audio output and dual front-facing speakers.
It allows easy connectivity with Alexa for voice control features. With just the weight of 3.09 lbs, it is easy to carry this laptop every day.
- CPU Series: AMD Ryzen 7 – 5800U
- Capacity: 16 GB DDR4/ 512 GB SSD
- Battery Life: Up to 12 hours
- Superb video representation.
- Biometric fingerprint security.
- Great audio output.
- Sometimes it freezes during data management.
9. HP 14-inch Laptop
HP 14 is a 14-inch lightweight, thin and modern laptop that can power through entertainment and productivity. The videos can look stunning with the Full HD display and 1080p resolution.
The display is even made better with the anti-glare and micro-edge bezel which allows you to enjoy all the visuals that are enabled with the easier AMD Ryzen 5 5500U mobile processor. The capacity is increased with the 8 GB RAM and 256 GB SSD. Also, the battery life is 9 hours and 45 minutes with enabled fast charging. Moreover, multitasking is made easier with the Windows 11 operating system.
The brand offers a 1-year warranty. The conference is made amazingly with a 720p HD camera and double-array microphones.
- CPU Series: AMD Ryzen 5 – 5500U
- Capacity: 8 GB DDR4/ 256 GB SSD
- Battery Life: Up to 10 hours
- Lightweight and modern design.
- Amazing display.
- Fast charging.
- Easy multitasking.
- Some users had issues with the durability.
Things To Consider When Buying A 14-inch Laptop
For the 14-inch laptops, there are specifications that you need to consider when you are looking to buy a laptop. It is a humongous task to look at all the important nitty-gritty of the system and choose the one based on your preferences. Therefore, we have listed some of the basic factors that will help make the task easier for you. Check them out to make a perfect choice.
1. CPU Series and Speed
The CPU is the brain of the computer and it highly influences the performance of the laptop. According to your requirements, you need to choose the CPU of your laptop. Sometimes, even the least-expensive model might be the one that suits you. We have given a breakdown of the eminent CPUs that are available in the market.
- Apple M1 and M2: When it comes to the endurance and raw performance factor, Apple is way ahead in the race. The custom silicon, ARM-based M1 and M2 chips are superior to all the competition that is there in the market.
- Intel Core i5: If you are looking for the best pricing and performance combination, then this is the one to go for. The ones with the U series are the best as they consume low power and save battery life.
- Intel Core i7: It is a step up from the i5 processors. The ones which end in H series are faster and provide better performance which allows gaming and other high-speed services. They serve better performance in low power.
- AMD Ryzen 5000 and 6000: They are a direct competition to the Intel Core i5 and i7 processors. These chips are equal to or better than the Intel Core competition. Apart from the great performance, these Ryzen chips equipped laptops are less expensive than the Intel competitors.
- AMD A, FX or E Series: If you are purchasing a laptop for media viewing and productivity or web surfing, this CPU is worth the money. They are the least-expensive option and the company calls these AMD processors APUs rather than CPUs.
The capacity of any laptop is the RAM and the storage of the laptop. There are several laptops that are even available with 4 GB RAM but it is recommended to at least go for 8 GB RAM even if you are tight on budget. If the pocket allows you to spend a little more, then the 16 GB is a good choice. 32 GB is deemed enough by most users while 64 GB is specially designed for professional gamers.
Now, for the storage which is as important as the speed for the performance of the laptop. It is better to go for a better SSD drive for your laptop rather than a hard drive as it will improve the performance and enable it to run three times faster.
3. Battery Life
If you are going for a large and heavy notebook meant for gaming, you do not need to worry about the battery life as it is highly likely that you will use it on a desk. But, if you are planning to work with it on your lap in the office or at home, it is better to go for laptops at least with a battery life of 7 hours. The ideal battery life for any laptops is more than 9 hours. When you are looking at this factor, it is better to not trust the manufacturer blindly but it is better to look for third-party objectives like customer reviews who have firsthand experience using the laptops.
4. Graphic Card
If you do not plan to perform high-resolution video editing or create 3D objects or play PC games, then the included graphics card chip, which shares the system memory is enough for you. However, to fulfill any of the above-mentioned applications, you would require a separate graphics processor from AMD or NVIDIA. NVIDIA offers both low end and high end graphics cards while AMD offers it for the Apple Mac OS.
5. Connectivity Technology
If you are planning to use the laptop on the go, it is essential to go for a 5G or 4G LTE laptop. You need to get a data subscription plan for this and it will also allow you to connect to the nearest router from your device. For the latest connectivity technology, look for the WiFi 6 which provides a more stable connection and enhanced theoretical throughputs. You should also look for the latest Bluetooth version so that you can connect to bluetooth-enabled devices like earphones and mics.
6. Operating System
The operating system should cater to your requirements when it comes to a laptop. If your loyalties do not lie with any particular OS, this is a difficult choice to make. We have given a thorough study of each operating system’s highs and lows to help you make the right choice.
- Windows OS: This is the most popular and used widely in most laptops. They provide several features like fingerprint sensors and touchscreen functions. It also provides dual graphics card permission. The latest Windows 11 has enhanced the performance notably and offers features like Do Not Disturb and Focus Session modes. For gaming purposes, this is the only one that you should go for.
- Mac OS: The functionality is quite similar to that of the Windows OS with some changes in the design of all the features and the layout. It becomes a little difficult to adjust to it but once you are invested in it, there is no way that you can choose anything else. This OS is better at multitasking.
- Chrome OS: It is simpler and cheaper than both the options but it is also very limited. It is ideal for web surfing or handling social media.
It is not everyday that you invest in a laptop, so make sure that you are going for a durable and long-lasting 14-inch investment. To make sure that you are investing in a good one, you can look for the warranty that is offered by the brand for the product. The warranty tells a lot about the durability and the parts durability feature.
14-inch Laptop FAQs
Ans: The DDR4 is still a better option as there are minimal performance enhancements and a great hike in the pricing. The lower latency of the DDR4 is a great advantage along with the memory option.
Ans: Most of the 14-inch laptops come with integrated graphics cards which makes it almost impossible to replace them.
Ans: The capacity of the Acer brand laptops can be extended up to 256 GB of SSD and 2 TB of HDD.
Ans: For a sharp resolution for the 14-inch laptops, you can go for 1920 X 1080 HD quality or 2560 X 1440 QHD quality.
With this guide at your disposal, choosing the best 14-inch laptop will be like a walk in the park. We have listed all the criteria you need to know to buy the 14-inch laptop. Therefore, you must apply these considerations when buying laptops. You can write to us in the comments section below if you still have doubts.
- If you are here for the recommendations, we have listed the top three favorites from the list. The first recommendation for the best overall product is Apple M2 pro 14-inch Laptop. It has a high-resolution camera with a magic keyboard.
- The second recommendation if you are on a budget is Apple M1 pro 14-inch Laptop. The M1 chips can handle 8K video editing easily.
- The third and final product is Dell Inspiron 14-inch Laptop. It has a long battery life with 1TB SSD storage.