When you need to install electric switches and outlets in outdoor areas, you need to protect them from outdoor weather conditions. That is where electrical boxes come in handy as they encase the switches, outlets, and wiring connections and protect them from short-circuiting. They are equally effective for indoor installation. When buying an electrical box, you will come across several choices. To purchase the best electrical box, you need to watch out for the following parameters.
- Material: Depending on where you want to install the electrical box, you must select the material accordingly. Broadly speaking, the electrical boxes are made of metal and plastic. If you are going to place it outdoors, you should choose plastic material or such metal that can withstand outdoor conditions. Metal should be your first preference if you are looking for longevity and heavy-duty construction.
- Box Type: There are several types of electrical boxes available. The most common ones are junction boxes. Besides, there are handy boxes, device boxes, old work, and new work boxes. Different boxes have different applications, so you must choose accordingly. Apart from that, the shape of the boxes differs from one another. Depending on the objects you will place inside, you must select the shape accordingly.
- Box Size: Depending on the shape of the electrical box, the size differs greatly. Therefore, you have to check the dimensions in the specifications. For example, if you purchase a box to accommodate wires only, a relatively small box will get the job done. On the contrary, if you want to encase switches, you must select a relatively big-sized box, such as an octagonal box.
These are the most important factors to consider if you want to purchase the best electrical boxes. Apart from these, we have provided a thorough “Buying Guide” for better understanding and decision-making. We have handpicked the best electrical boxes of all types for your consideration. We have reviewed them so that you can understand their pros and cons and pick the perfect one for your requirements.
Best Electrical Boxes Tabulation
Best Electrical Boxes Reviews
Southwire is a renowned brand in the power segment, and they have a selected range of electrical components. Coming specifically to their electrical boxes, they have the strongest boxes that last for years without maintenance.
Southwire One Gang Device Box has polyvinyl chloride construction for sustenance. It belongs to the new work category of electrical box, and you can use it in new locations where the final wall finish is still uncertain. The installation is easy with the stud-mounting option. You can mount it to wood as well as metal studs comfortably.
One of the features of the electrical box is that its depth is adjustable. It is ideal for placing wires as it comes with built-in wire clamps. The construction has very thick PVC material for rigidity. As far as the safety measures are concerned, the product has RoHS compliance. Besides, it has a UL fire rating, which proves that the product is highly safe for commercial usage. You get a one year warranty on this electrical box.
- Adjustable depth for versatile applications.
- Highly safe product with RoHS compliance.
- Easy installation and heavy-duty construction.
- Mountable on different wall materials.
- Suitable for accommodating different electric components.
- Equally applicable in old work and new work locations.
- Thick construction for rigidity and durability.
- The space and depth may not be enough.
LeMotech is extremely popular in the electronics and electrical components industry. Professional electricians widely recommend it for electrical system installation. The company focuses on ABS-based electric boxes for universal application.
LeMotech ABS Plastic Junction Box is completely waterproof and dustproof. Therefore, the electrical components will not get damaged in outdoor conditions. The product has sturdy ABS plastic material construction. The box comes with a backplane wiring hole design for better project management.
The product has RoHS and CE certification, ensuring that the box is safe to use for an electrical project. The box has a screw-in mounting type, and the reversed-hole structure is quite useful. The box is also shock resistant, and the rubber gasket keeps the dirt away. It belongs to the universal junction box for versatile applications.
- IP65 waterproof certification.
- CE and ROHS safety certifications.
- Removable plugs for versatile application.
- Material is sturdy for durability.
- Rubber gasket to keep dust away.
- Resistant to sudden shock.
- Easy to drill and install anywhere.
- The price is on the higher side.
Sealproof Rectangular Exterior Electrical Outlet Box is a highly rated product. The design has a professional look and outlet holes for easy operation. The die-cast aluminum construction makes the product durable as well as suitable for outdoor conditions. The ergonomic structure keeps rain and dirt away from the electrical components inside it.
The overall product has a compact structure, but you can accommodate switches and wires comfortably thanks to its depth. You will get all the necessary accessories in the package for instant assembly. The product is UL rated for its safety measures. It is perfectly suitable for exterior applications.
- Die-cast aluminium construction for heavy-duty application.
- Waterproof, dustproof as well as protection from rain.
- Perfect holes and outlets for keeping wires organized.
- Comes with all the necessary accessories.
- Weatherproof powder coating enhances its durability.
- Ergonomic structure for easy assembly and installation.
- Extremely sturdy for versatile applications.
- Nothing negative to point out.
Hubbell-Raco is a popular electrical box brand that is known for producing budget-friendly electrical components. They also manufacture electrical boxes of different sizes and shapes to cater to all requirements.
Hubbell-Raco Octagon Box is highly spacious, which means you can accommodate various components comfortably. The product has alloy steel construction, and hence, it is highly durable. The surface area, as well as the depth, is sizable, and it has around 15 cubic inch capacity.
You will need a combination of Philips and slotted screw heads, and there are punched screw points on the box already available. You will find compatible knockouts in the package, and you can install the octagonal box conveniently. The box is suitable for wall as well as ceiling light fixtures.
- Superior alloy steel for weather protection.
- Octagonal surface for better encasement.
- Gray silver finish for easy visibility.
- Heavy-duty construction or durability.
- Raised ground screw area provision.
- Combination screw heads for faster installation.
- Large surface area and depth for more components.
- The construction is rather flimsy.
We have already mentioned that Hubbell-Bell is a reputed brand in the electrical box industry. They have a wide variety of electrical boxes and most of them have metal construction for high durability.
Hubbell-Bell Single Gang Outlet is the strongest electrical box on the list. The box has completely weatherproof aluminum construction. On top of that, you will get powder coating finish for further protection. The surface is also scratch resistant. Therefore, you can place it in the outdoor areas without any issue.
The box has compact structure but high depth. There are internal threads for threaded fitting for easy utilization. The lugs are detachable and there are eight different mounting options available. You will get all the accessories in the package for easy assembly and instant installation. You will find all the instructions in the package.
- Weatherproof construction for outdoor placement.
- Eight mounting options for easy installation.
- Detachable lugs and closure plugs.
- All the required accessories are included.
- Powder coated finish for enhanced durability.
- Superior aluminum construction for rigidity.
- Ergonomic design with sizable depth.
- The detachable lugs could be better.
Old Work Box is a pioneer in the electrical box segment. The company offers painted electrical boxes that are safe and protected from electrocution. Their electrical boxes have proprietary thermoplastic material construction for higher durability.
OLD WORK BOX Lamson Carlon PVC Outlet Box is undoubtedly the best old work electrical box on the list. The box is thoroughly painted for easy visibility as well as protection from weather conditions. The box looks compact, but the depth is sizable.
It has PVC material as well as a thermoplastic material. The combination of the materials imparts the best durability and properties. The installation is also easy as it has a screw-in installation type. The size of the box is 20 cubic inches, and it can accommodate a large wiring system. The product is UL certified for meeting the safety measures.
- Completely painted for visibility and protection.
- Superior material construction for durability.
- Compact but sizable depth structure.
- Easy screw-in installation process.
- Complete protection from outdoor conditions.
- Suitable for drywall projects.
- High depth for extra wire encasing.
- The design could be more ergonomic.
Thomas & Betts is a relatively new brand in the electrical box, but their products have become popular in this short time. The company produces budget-friendly but highly durable coloring electrical boxes.
Thomas & Betts 2G Old Work Outlet Box has polyvinyl chloride construction. The material makes it suitable for outdoor conditions. It is a 2-gauge electrical box that can be used for versatile applications. Since it belongs to the old work outlet box category, it is applicable to old construction sites.
The box is colored for easy visibility, and the depth is sizeable to accommodate different electric components comfortably. The installation process is easy as well. There are different grooves available in the interior for wires and switches. Therefore, you can use it as a junction as well as a handy box.
- Dual applications to accommodate wires and switches.
- Thick PVC material for outdoor conditions.
- Extremely budget-friendly and heavy-duty application.
- Easy installation and fits perfectly for the old work switch box.
- Uniform painting for easy spotting.
- Ample depth for versatile applications.
- Easy mounting and convenient grooves.
- Does not disclose safety certifications.
Zulkit Junction Box ABS Plastic Electrical Box is spacious to accommodate different electric components. The heavy-duty plastic construction has an IP65 waterproof rating. The box follows the safety standard of CE and ROHS. It is perfectly suitable for industrial applications. There is no scope for the dust to enter through the box and damage the internal encasing.
You can easily drill through the box as per your project requirements without cracking the box. The installation process is quite easy, and there are hinges available to open and close the box conveniently. There are mounting bosses available for internal mounting as well. There are extra plastic latches available for better closing and security. The box is protected from harsh sun rays, moisture, as well as corrosion.
- Complete protection from weather conditions.
- CE and ROHS certification for safety measures.
- Hinged enclosure for easy post-installation operations.
- Available in different sizes for versatile applications.
- Waterproof, dustproof, and anti-corrosion.
- Extra latches for better locking and complete security.
- Easy installation and does not crack while drilling through.
- The construction is not very strong to sustain impacts.
Buying Guide For Best Electrical boxes
You have clearly seen that there are different types of electrical boxes available with different specifications and features. Therefore, it is very important to choose the perfect one for your job so that you get the best value for your money. In order to choose the perfect electrical box, you need to have a complete idea of the product.
That is why we are now going to put forward a detailed buying guide. The guide contains all the important factors you should watch out for in an electrical box before purchasing it. Thereafter, you will clearly understand which electrical box will be the best for your purpose. In fact, you can compare the electrical boxes based on these parameters for better purchasing decisions.
We have already stated that there are broadly two types of materials used in electrical boxes. They are plastic and metal, and different varieties of plastic materials and metals are used which give them different properties. The material is important because it determines the quality and durability of the box. Starting from PVC and ABS to aluminum to cast iron, you will find all the different materials.
Plastic electrical boxes are cheaper and suitable for outdoor conditions. However, they are fragile and not durable. That is why aluminum electrical boxes are the most popular, as they are weather resistant and highly durable. Similarly, alloy steel and cast iron electrical boxes are suitable for heavy-duty usage.
2. Box Type
It is very important to be clear for what purpose you need an electrical box. That is when you can decide the type of electrical box you need. There are junction boxes, handy boxes as well as old and new work boxes. The junction boxes are for the encasing of wires, while the handy boxes are for encasing switches.
The handy boxes have mounting installation style while junction boxes have screw-in installation style in most cases. In fact, based on the installation procedure, the old and new work electrical boxes are classified. Therefore, it all comes down to your requirements, and thereafter, you need to choose the electrical box type accordingly.
3. Size and Shape
By now you have understood that electrical boxes come in various shapes and sizes. By size, we are implying the dimensions which are very important. This is because the size will determine the content of the box. Therefore, according to your requirements such as the number of switches and the bunch of wires, you have to see which size is perfect for your job.
Talking about shape, the standard rectangular boxes are the most common. Besides, there are round pan, octagonal, and square electrical boxes available. In terms of size, there are 2-gang, 3-gang, and 4-gang electrical boxes. Besides, there are ceiling fan-rated electrical boxes also available.
The installation part of the electrical box needs to be given ample importance. This is because different electrical boxes have different installation processes. Some are to be screwed in while the others need to be fixed or mounted in the wall. Basically, you need to ensure that the electrical box has the installation process that you are comfortable with.
If you are going for a mounted electrical box, you need to check the mounting style. Some have screw mounting while others have fixed mounting style. In fact, the cable mounting style is quite popular. While purchasing a mounting electrical box, you have to consider the mounting place where you will place the box such as your wall or ceiling.
Electrical Box FAQS
Ans: The four different types of electrical boxes are handy box, junction box, new work box, and old work box. The handy box is where you can place switches, and you can mount it on the wall. The junction box is where you put the wires for connection. The new work box has an easy installation procedure with studs. The old work box is suitable for installation on the drywall with clamps.
Ans: A junction box is an enclosure where you can have multiple wiring connections. The main objective of the junction box is to protect the connections from outdoor conditions. It is extremely important because the wiring connections are vulnerable to environmental conditions. The junction box also protects outsiders from accidental contact.
Ans: Depending on the size of the junction box, the number of junctions in the box varies accordingly. For example, a 4-by-4 inch square junction box can accommodate six junctions of cables. There are smaller as well as larger junction boxes available, and the number of junctions varies accordingly.
For any electrical setup, an electrical box becomes essential to encase wires and switches. It is particularly useful when you have to place wiring connections and switches in the outdoor area. We have selected the best electrical boxes for you and reviewed them thoroughly. You can clearly understand their features, strengths, and weaknesses. We have also put forward a detailed buying guide to make you understand how to assess the electrical boxes and purchase the perfect one. If you are still confused about which electrical box to purchase, here are our recommendations for you.
- If you are looking for the best value for money electrical box, we recommend Southwire Electrical Box. This is because the product is the most popular on the list, and it has received very high ratings from genuine users. The product is highly versatile in application, and the rigidity and durability are on the next level. You can mount it in all different surfaces, and it is suitable for old work and new work applications.
- If you prefer premium electrical components and budget is not an issue, LeMotech Electrical Box is a great choice. The box has ABS plastic construction and therefore, it is suitable for outdoor placement. The box comes in different sizes and you can choose as per your project requirements. Besides, it is completely dustproof and waterproof and it has followed all the standard safety measures.
- If you are looking for a metal electrical box, Hubbell-Bell Electrical Box is the best option for you. The product has die-cast aluminum construction and there is powder coating that makes it weatherproof. There are several mounting points and internally threaded hubs for easy operation. It is one of the highest-rated electrical boxes and you can get the best value for your money for large wire encasing.