There can be multiple ways to save your old frames from damage. But the easiest way is to paint them. The best frame paints not only give your frames a new look but also protect them from rust, corrosion, and daily wear and tear.
These paints are specially formulated to keep moisture at bay and make your frame durable, strong, and long-lasting.
Here are three factors that you must consider before buying a frame paint.
- Properties: Frame paints are made of different formulas. Some help to prevent rust, some are UV resistant, and some are waterproof. Some dry faster than others, while some take more time. While some paints allow you to paint directly over rust, some need special preparation before the application. You should pick the best product according to your purpose of use.
- Application process: Frame paints also vary from each other in terms of their application process. Some paints are spray paints, some need a brush for the application, and some need a roller. While deciding on the application process, choose something that fits your needs.
- Durability: The frame paint you chose should offer you a durable and long-lasting finish. It should offer uniform coverage and prevent metals or other surfaces from damage. Choose frame paints from only the best brands.
Many frame paints in the market claim to prevent rust and damage, but only a few formulas live up to what they claim, which is why we have come up with the 10 best frame paints on our list. We also have included a full “Buying Guide” on selecting the best frame paint, depending on your use.
Best Frame Paints Chart
Best Frame Paints Reviews
1. Eastwood Frame Paints
The Eastwood Internal Frame Coating spray is a special aerosol spray that can be used for both rust prevention and rust destruction.
Not only does it protect your vehicles from the onset of rust and help you maintain a clean finish, but it also reduces the need for additional maintenance and repairs. It spreads evenly and uniformly and has a beautiful sheen. It comes with a 24-inch long tube with a conical nozzle that sprays in a radial pattern for increased coverage.
All you need to do is shake the can vigorously for one minute before the application, insert the extension nozzle into the spray bottle, and then insert the extension nozzle into the bolt holes, frame openings, etc. It comes with 90 days of limited warranty.
- Aerosol spray paint
- Rust-preventive formula
- Conical nozzle for ease of application
- Comes with a 24-inch long tube for precise application
- 90 days of limited warranty
- Durable and long-lasting
2. Seymour Frame Paints
Seymour is a superior paint that covers 3-4 timers better than all standard aerosols and hence, the price point. The customers love this product as it’s very well pigmented and coats evenly.
The Seymour paint is formulated from the best and environment-friendly materials. This product protects your chassis frame from rust and guards them against weather, oil, and other corrosive chemicals. The best part is that Seymour products do not contain harmful chemicals like cadmium, mercury, chromates, or chlorinated solvents.
Furthermore, the professional-grade spray paint also resists abrasion and heat. It’s made to withstand high humidity conditions that can form rust and corrosion. The layers come out with a nice sheen. There’s nothing fancy about the spray nozzle. It has been kept simple for users.
- Protectis against rust and corrosion
- Resistant to high-humidity conditions
- Contains no harmful chemicals like cadmium, mercury, chromates, and chlorine solvents
- Highly pigmented
- Coats evenly
- Has a nice sheen to it
3. KBS Frame Paints
The KBS coating frame kit includes a 3-step system that effectively cleans, removes and protects metals by permanently sealing them with a rust-proof coating. The kit comes with a water-based cleaning solution, a rust-removing biodegradable solution, and a paint.
The paint works by isolating the metal from water. It hardens as you apply the paint and creates a rock-hard yet flexible barrier that’s strong and rough to last a lifetime. It has great spreadability. You can apply it using a brush, roller, or spray gun, giving a beautiful ceramic finish.
The KBS frame paint doesn’t chip, crack or peel off. It’s effortless to use and requires no mixing. The waterproof coating is highly temperature resistant up to 600F.
- 3-kit system includes a cleaner, remover, and paint
- Kit comes with brushes, gloves, and user manual
- Water-based biodegradable solutions
- High temperature resistant up to 600F
- Beautiful ceramic finish
- Multiple applications
- Available in 11 different colors
- Easy to apply
- Comes with poor-quality brushes
4. Vht Frame Paints
The Vht roll bar and car frame paint come in a pack of 6. If you are looking forward to giving your car frame a new stained black finish, then this is a great option at a fair price. It’s one of the top-quality frame paints available in the market and has a great rating from its customers.
The aerosol spray paint can be used on metal, or wooden frames. But, avoid using it on plastic frames as the aerosol spray paint can form bubbles on plastic, and the finish wouldn’t be even. The satin finish of this spray paint gives a similar effect to Por-15 rust preventive coating which is a much higher-priced option.
The paint prevents rust, and it’s both durable and scratch resistant. Also, it’s water-resistant and highly heat-resistant. So, if you are looking for a spray to quickly fix your rusty frames, this is a good option. It offers maximum coverage and dries to the touch in 20 minutes.
- Comes in a pack of 6
- Aerosol spray paint
- Rust-preventive formula
- Water and high-temperature resistant
- Dries quickly
- High-temperature resistant
- Easy application
- Many people received only 1 can
5. POR-15 Frame Paints
The POR-15 Rust preventive frame paint is trusted by many DIY enthusiasts and professionals for rust prevention and protection from corrosion. It’s one of the most highly-rated frame paints on the market, and it comes in a huge quantity of 946 ml.
It keeps rust at bay by forming an impenetrable layer that is built to provide protection from water, grime, grease, and other contaminants. It also protects from salt and any corrosive contaminants. It can be used for farms, automotive, and commercial-grade equipment to prevent rust from recurring by protecting the metal from further exposure to moisture.
It can also be used on porous surfaces such as wood, brick, concrete and fiberglass, and more. The POR-15 takes time to dry, usually 2 to 5 hours. Once it’s dry, it forms an impenetrable rock-hard layer of satin-like finish that won’t chip, crack or peel.
- Quantity: 946 ml
- Waterproof, impact resistant
- Heat-resistant up to 450 degrees F
- Dries fast when moisture is present
- Last long
6. AGS RUST Frame Paints
AGS rust solution is an aerosol spray paint that is made to trap the rust permanently by creating a hydrophobic coat between mixture and metal.
The epoxy-based spray paint contains finely powdered glass particles that penetrate the rust to prevent it from spreading further and the epoxy acts as a topcoat. The epoxy also ensures the paint adheres to the metal permanently and creates a beautiful powder finish.
The AGS paint is compatible with most top coats and gives an even finish over any color you choose. It can be applied anywhere you see rust. For best results, use a wire brush to scrape off any rust particles. Then use a solvent to remove grease and oil, then shake the can vigorously for 2 minutes to make sure all solids are thoroughly mixed.
A single coat takes 20 minutes to dry to touch and 3-4 to become thoroughly dry. It’s UV resistant and high-temperature resistant up to 300 degrees.
- Epoxy-based aerosol paint
- UV resistant
- High-temperature resistant up to 300 degrees
- Take 3-4 hours to become thoroughly dry
- Easy to apply spray nozzle
- Becomes dry to touch in 20 minutes
- Beautiful powdery finish
- Not opaque. Requires two coats
7. Magnet Frame Paints
If you are looking for a frame paint to paint and protect your car chassis from rust, then here’s the best option. This frame paint from Magnet paint was formulated especially for rust frames and car chassis.
It’s known to protect your chassis from rust and damage associated with corrosion. This paint’s formulation was developed by all safety standards established by American safety authorities. It protects the chassis and safeguards the underbody surfaces, engine compartments, floorboards, firewalls, and frames, to name a few.
The high-performance industry standard rust guard formula that doesn’t chip, crack, or peel. It does a great job of guarding the car unit against bad weather, rain, mud, and dirt. This formula makes the application simple and takes only a few minutes. It also does the job of primers, top-coater, or hardeners.
- Best car and truck chassis paint
- Formula made safe according to USA safety standards
- High-performance and industry-standard
- High-temperature resistant
- Very easy to apply
- Lasts long
- Amazing coverage
- Expensive for the quantity
8. Rust Frame Paints
The Rust Oleum is an enamel based acrylic spray paint that is great for use on metal surfaces plus wood and plastic. It provides uniform coverage with a smooth acrylic finish.
If you are not a fan of a powdery matte finish, you will love this product. It’s an all-in-one paint that does the job of a primer as well as a top coat. So, you can leave it as it is. The formula is UV resistant and made to prevent recurring rust.
The formulation is such that it helps to bind with rust particles and prevent them from further spearing. The color is opaque. In fact, it is the only brand that’s available in 12 different color shades to match your frame.
This can cover up to 12 sq feet. We love the spray nozzle that can spray at any angle, including upside down. Shake it vigorously for 1 minute before applying. The paint dries to the touch in 20 minutes and takes around 3 to 4 hours to dry thoroughly.
- Can be used on metal, wood and plastic
- All-in-one paint
- Dries to touch in 20 minutes
- Smooth acrylic finish
- Available in so many colors
- Easy to apply
- Application is time taking
9. SPEEDOKOTE Frame Paints
Speedokote is known for making refined products. They have a huge range of frame paints, primers, and tint or toners. If you want to restore the paint on an old metal surface, you can give this product a try.
It can be used on any bare metal surface to protect it against rust and corrosive degradation. This product comes with a formula of glossy finish that provides almost similar results to Magnet paint but at half of its price. Thrust and corrosion-resistant paint come with a spray-on formula.
That means you can use it as spray paint. You can also use a brush or roller if you want. It can be used without any primer or topcoat. It comes in a huge quantity of 1 gallon. There’s no other color option available for this paint.
- Rust preventive formula
- Voc compliant
- Good for underbody coating
- Can be used on bare metal surfaces
- Huge quantity
- Works the job or a primer as well as top-coat
- Cannot be used on plastic frames
Best Frame Paint Buying Guide
Frame paints are a lot different from each other in terms of their formulation, application process, and finish results. Here are some factors that you need to keep in mind while buying a frame paint.
Frame paints have various properties and ingredients which make them very different from each other. For example, some paint can prevent rust, some are UV-resistant and waterproof, and some dry sooner than others. Some paints like AGS Rust Solutions dry faster in humid conditions while others don’t.
A few paints don’t need any special preparation. They can be applied directly over rust over any metal surface while others need special preparations to get a smooth, even finish. Also, some frame paints need a topcoat for the final finish, while others don’t. You should pick the best product according to your purpose of use.
2. Application Process
When it comes to the application process, frame paints differ from one another. For instance, some frame paints are aerosol spray paints, some need to be brushed, while some can be rolled. Some paints allow you to use a spray nozzle, while some paints don’t. If you need to paint a car’s underbody parts, it’s better to avoid spray paint as it can get into your face. While deciding on the application process, choose something that fits your needs.
The frame paint you choose should be durable and of high quality. It shouldn’t crack, peel or chip with regular use. It should offer uniform coverage that covers rust and prevents corrosion degradation. It should increase surface durability and make it last longer.
4. Brand and pricing
You should pick a paint from a reputable brand. With so many options, it can be difficult. We have only included the paints from popular brands with the best reviews. So, you can choose any of them depending on the price and purpose of use. Remember, the price of the frame paints varies depending on the size of the can, quality, and brand.
A frame paint’s shelf life can be affected by many factors. However, if you strictly adhere to the manufacturer’s storage recommendations, your paint should last a long time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ans: The majority of the frame paints and those we have enlisted here in this article are waterproof. However, you should still check the product description to make sure of the fact.
Ans: Some frame paints are made with a rust-preventive formula that keeps rust at bay. Some of these paints can be directly applied over rust, while some need special preparation so that they can bond better with the metal surface.
Ans: Only a few frame paints can be applied on plastic surfaces. Like this one from Rust Oleum Automotive Acrylic Enamel 2X Spray Paint.
Choosing a frame paint is an easy task. However, you still need to consider a few factors like the properties of the paint. Do you want to prevent rust? Do you want a frame paint that is UV resistant? You also need to consider the application process.
Will a spray paint help you paint the surface? Or do you prefer a traditional brush paint?
We have discussed all of these factors in our buying guide. Hope our buying guide was helpful.
If you are still confused about our purchase, here are the top 3 recommendations for you.
- If you are looking for an affordable spray paint that can prevent and destruct rust, then there’s no better option than Eastwood Frame Paints. It not only keeps rust at bay but also helps to maintain a clean finish. It doesn’t crack, chip or peel and gives a long-lasting smooth finish.
- You can buy this 3-kit set from KBS Frame Paints that comes with a cleaner, remover, and paint, an all-in-one kit that helps to prep and paint. It provides great coverage and has a nice sheen to it. It comes with a brush but you can use a spray nozzle or a roller. It’s great for car chassis and truck frame paint.
- If you want a frame paint that prevents rust from spreading, is high-temperature resistant, and UV resistant, then you can go with AGS RUST Frame Paints. The epoxy-based formula binds to rust and prevents it from reappearing. The all-in-one formula can be used without using any primer or topcoat.