It is wise to invest in a portable low THD generator because of its several benefits. Not all generators are equal, and it mostly depends on your purpose for using a generator. Total harmonic distortion is the distortion measurement caused by the amplifier of the generator. Low THD generators are capable of producing high-quality power.
It is possible that computers, advanced HVAC systems, and other sensitive gadgets can get damaged when you use a high THD generator. Most households use delicate gadgets, so portable low THD generators are becoming the best products to power these devices reliably. Before investing in these products, consider the following factors while selecting the finest portable generator.
- Outlets: The outlets on a portable generator are essential to consider. 700W could be more than enough if you want to switch on your refrigerator. Some gadgets, however, require significantly greater initial power. Make a list of the devices you want to plug in before you buy a portable power supply. You may use this to determine the precise number of outlets and electricity you require.
- Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): You should think about the waveform depending on the type of equipment your power supply device will be used with. THD must be less than 6% to prevent damage to electrical circuits. You will need a pure sine wave generator to prevent harm to your portable PC or laboratory equipment.
- Fuel Type: In general, gas is used to power most of these devices. Except for storms or panic days, this fuel is easy to obtain. Diesel-powered vehicles, however, do better. This implies that you can get a diesel-powered device if you’re looking for one for your entire home’s equipment. Nevertheless, remember that getting this kind of gasoline is occasionally challenging.
While these are only a few factors to consider when looking for a low THD generator, in the following section, you’ll learn about the best products you may choose and other parameters that will help you choose these generators. This detailed “Buying Guide” will help to make your purchase easier.
Best Low THD Portable Generator List
Best Low THD Portable Generator Reviews
First, on this list, you have the WEN 56380i Super Quiet 3800-Watt Portable Inverter Generator. Various factors make this product stand out from the rest. You may have discovered the ideal generator if you’re looking for one with a pure sine wave and a THD of 1.2 percent (THD) that’s budget-friendly. It is marketed for a small fraction of the price of 3000-watt inverter generators that are more expensive. This alone could be enough to make it a true winner. The generator has a very sleek, contemporary appearance. Also, it is considerably smaller and lighter.
Moving about is made much simpler by the wheels with a comfortable candle. Both a conventional pull-start mechanism and a basic electric starter may be used to start this inverter generator, which has a noise level of 57 dBA. The 56380i has a fuel capacity of 2.2 gallons and can operate for roughly 8.5 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption: 0.26 GPH).
- This generator comes with low THD and weighs 99.2 lbs.
- It operates quietly, minimizing noise, and is CARB and EPA III compliant.
- A 212cc four-stroke OHV engine can operate for up to 8.5 hours at half-load while producing 3400 rated watts and 3800 surge watts.
- Fuel shutdown extends the generator’s life by burning through the fuel still in the generator’s carburetor before turning it off.
- It produces extremely clean power to protect delicate gadgets like laptops, tablets, and smartphones from harm.
- It comes with two 3-prong 120V outlets present, 1 AC 120V NEMA TT-30R RV outlet, one 12V DC outlet, two 5V ports for USB, a fuel display and digital load, and a two-year guarantee are all included.
- Great generator with the lowest THD
- Excellent quality-to-price ratio
- Electric start
- It is heavy
- It does not come with a remote start
- Comparatively low run time
Champion Power Equipment is mainly popular for its efficient performance. The Champion portable generator produces less than three percent THD with its 420CC 4-stroke huge engine. It has an open-frame inverter structure that can give a strong performance and consumes low fuel. This portable generator has a huge build with low THD. It offers a starting power and an operating power of 8750 watts and 7000 watts, respectively, which is quite high for any kind of inverter generator.
Champion low THD generators operate silently and are lighter. It offers a cold-start technology for a quick start in bad weather and is also one of the low-cost power backup choices. It can operate at 25% load continuously for up to ten hours.
This 8000-watt generator offers various outlets, including a double USB converter, a DC automotive-style plug, and battery-charging connectors. It exclusively produces clean electricity.
- It comes with an advanced open-frame inverter design.
- It operates quietly and is also lighter in weight.
- It produces clean power as its economy mode helps to save fuel.
- The electric start button enables it to operate the generator conveniently and includes a battery.
- It can run for up to 10.5 hours and produces 72 dBA.
- It has 7000 running watts and 8750 starting watts.
- It comes with an intelligauge that easily monitors the frequency, voltage, and operating hours.
- It comes with a 3-year warranty.
- Affordable low THD portable generator
- It has a push-button electric start and cold start technology
- It operates quietly
- No remote start
- It is value for money
- No meter for Wattage is being used
The Honda EU2200i generator, which ranks third on this list, is perfect for a suburban house if you want to reduce noise levels to a minimum. It is also appropriate for camping vacations and other occasions where having a generator would be disruptive. Because of its small size (it weighs less than 50 lbs.) and quiet operation, this generator stands out in the market.
Its THD levels are less than 6%, and because it can fit in small locations, it is ideal for quick and simple transportation. You won’t need to be concerned about a strong stench penetrating the neighborhood because the vent on the gas cap can be closed, keeping fumes from escaping.
The Honda EE2200i has a “low oil” warning that reduces the engine’s functionality to ensure that it keeps operating at its best and doesn’t sustain harm from being overworked. To prevent the generator from utilizing stale fuel and harming the equipment, the “fuel shutdown” turns the generator off after most of the fuel has been consumed. Additionally, the device keeps track of carbon monoxide levels and switches off the generator before levels become too high.
The generator is perfect if you tend to preserve energy during a power outage because it has a maximum output of 120 volts. Your HVAC system, refrigerator, microwave, and electronic device charging may be easily done.
- It comes in great quality and delivers more power than its counterparts.
- It is lightweight, weighing only 47 pounds, and compact.
- It operates with a Co-minder, which is its advanced carbon monoxide detection system and it shuts down before detecting high CO levels becomes high.
- Honda’s exclusive My Generator App enables you to operate the generator remotely and monitor its performance.
- Its commercial-grade engine ensures powerful performance and runs for up to 8.5 hours with a 53 dBA noise level.
- It comes with a 2200 starting watt and 1800 running watt.
- It is easy to maintain and use
- Enables easy oil changes
- Consistent power delivery
- It is heavy
- It does not come with a remote start
- Its run time is low
If your home is big and you consume a lot of power every day, this generator is perfect for you. With a single fuel tank, this Westinghouse generator can run for up to 11 hours on gas or propane. You won’t need to get out of bed in the middle of the night to start this model because it has a remote start.
You won’t need to practice energy conservation when using this bad boy because it has a maximum output of 240 volts, which can easily power all of your domestic appliances in addition to your entertainment equipment. Even the most delicate devices may be securely powered by the WGen1200DF, which generates less than 5% THD.
Although an ST Switch is not included with the WGen1200DF (you can buy one separately), it does include an ST Switch outlet, allowing you to connect it to your breaker box with a transfer switch and have it switch power to the generator as necessary. Using an interconnection device is also an option if your electricity provider permits it.
This generator is heavy and cumbersome, making transportation difficult. Although it has handles and a durable exterior that enable it to resist rough terrain, its weight prevents it from being carried too far. However, it can resist strong storms, making it perfect for locations with more severe weather.
- It is a gas-powered portable generator with a remote electric start. So, you can operate it conveniently with the push of a button.
- It is easy to maintain as it comes with great protection features like automatic voltage regulation, automatic low oil shutdown, VFT display, smart idle control etc.
- It has a convenient 120/240V 14-50R and twist-lock L14-30R outlets enabling you to connect this generator with your house with ease.
- It has a strong V-twin engine that enables it to run for up to sixteen hours.
- It has a three year
- Good run time
- Fuel efficient
- Remote start
- It is heavier
- It does not have any recoil back-up
- Not much reliable
Buying Guide for the Low THD Portable Generator
You should search for generators with a THD around 6% when purchasing low THD models for your house. Normal generator output ranges from 9% to 15%, which is sufficient for lighting, power tools, and sump pumps, but can harm and reduce the lifespan of your delicate electronics. Here is a proper buying guide that has enlisted all the parameters that you must consider when investing on a low THD portable generator.
1. Total Harmonic Distortion and Clean Power
If you wish to power electrical items like laptops or lab equipment, the portable generator’s waveform is quite important. You must locate a portable generator with a total harmonic distortion of less than 6% if you want to avoid harming electrical circuits. Clean power or “pure sine wave” are common terms used to describe this more consistent and predictable voltage level. These generators can be found in lesser-wattage units, although they are often more costly. Check the waveform if you are certain that clean electricity will be required. This is due to the fact that certain clean power producers have a square wave and are not models for complete harmonic disorder.
2. Noise levels
Noisy power generators are ubiquitous. Some versions, however, make more noise than others, and some never both you or your neighbours. If you decide to get a more powerful one, the noise level will be higher. Never expect the 4000W class or more to operate “quietly.” There is one more suggestion about noise. Diesel always makes more noise than other fuels.
3. Fuel Capacity
These generators have separate tanks for gasoline storage. All gasoline tanks are different from one another since each tank has a different capacity. This volume is specified in gallons and can be anywhere between 2 and 10 gallons. You will gain from owning a large tank in a number of ways. If you have a large fuel tank, you won’t have to worry about refuelling the generator regularly.
For storing fuel, these generators feature separate tanks. Since each tank has a varied capacity, all gasoline tanks are unique from one another. This amount is given in gallons and can range in size from 2 to 10. Owning a large tank will benefit you in a number of ways. You won’t need to worry about refuelling the generator frequently if it has a large fuel tank.
4. Power Output
Generator power output is measured in watts (W), which are provided as peak and operating watts. Peak power output is the greatest Wattage the generator is capable of supplying at any given moment, whereas running power output is the average amount of Watts created throughout use.
The generator’s output can range from 1,000 to more than 12,000 Watts, depending on its size. This may be further broken down into the peak and operating power output of propane and gasoline, depending on the manufacturer.
These numbers are sometimes provided individually since gasoline can provide more watts than propane. Additionally, depending on whether the portable generator is fueled by gas or propane, the wattage output varies. Propane normally operates at a power level that is 10% to 15% lower. For instance, a 4000-Watt model will produce 4,000 Watts while using gasoline and 3,600 Watts when using propane.
Of course, the budget will be quite important. Price ranges for dual fuel generators range from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars. Higher wattages will result in increased prices. You must weigh how much power you can receive from the generator vs. how much you need when purchasing a backup generator.
5. Engine Efficiency
An engine that uses either gasoline or propane to burn energy powers each dual-fuel generator. Even while different power output ratings can seem to be identical, fuel consumption will vary depending on how efficiently an engine runs. The engine efficiency simply represents how well fuel can be converted into energy. If the engine is effective, gasoline will be depleted rapidly.
It’s common to overlook the quantity and kind of outputs in your generator. Most variants come equipped with two standard 120V AC outlets, which are enough for the majority of household equipment. RVs may need 240V outlets or automotive 12V DC outlets. Compare several models before investing.
7. Wheel Kit
Some dual fuel generators are large and include pipes and tanks that make transporting them challenging. In response to this mobility issue, manufacturers have started including wheel kits with their machines. These kits let you tilt the generator and wheel to any desired position.
Sometimes wheel kits are provided separately so you may replace an old, broken wheel kit or add them to your present generator. In any scenario, a wheel kit will make moving your dual-fuel generator much simpler.
Low THD Portable Generator FAQs
Ans: The most common cause of total harmonic distortion is regarded as the nonlinear load. You can reduce it in several ways. These include reducing line losses in an electrical line, minimising losses within a portable generator, and first transforming magnetic energy into mechanical energy and then into electrical energy.
Ans: It is allowed to have 5% overall harmonic distortion if you operate in the electrical industry. For commercial or industrial applications where essential power quality is required, generators with more than 5% THD are not appropriate.
Ans: Harmonic distortion happens when a generator’s stator converts part of the rotor’s mechanical energy into electrical energy rather than returning it to the power source. As a result, instead of properly supplying electricity to your load, some of the energy is turned into heat. As a result, the output signal of a generator has a somewhat reduced efficiency and more noise.
With this detailed guide about low THD generators, hopefully, you can now choose one efficiently. However, if you want the top three most-preferred options, here are the following.
- WEN Portable Generator portable generator is among the top choices if you are looking for an efficient product that’s also budget-friendly. It’s a great generator offering the lowest THD and performs efficiently. Its noiseless operation and clean power enable it to support all kinds of devices. With this product, you may rest assured that you’re getting something that can run for up to 8.5 hours consistently.
- Secondly, you can choose the Champion Portable Generator which is popular for its low noise operation, lightweight and compact nature. It offers low THD and with its cold start technology, it can be operated in any weather. Moreover, it produces clean power by consuming low fuel.
- The Honda Portable Generator is the third-best choice on this list. It is powerful and efficient. You can operate it efficiently using the My Generator App. Also, the co-minder features auto shuts the generator when the carbon monoxide levels get high. It is best for home use or you may carry it for camping purposes and operate consistently for up to 8.5 hours.
This is everything you need to know about the best low THD portable generators. So, without any further ado, go ahead and purchase the right product to serve your needs.