If you use an air cooler in summer, you must know the importance of replacing its cooler pads regularly and the repercussions of not doing so on time. These are simple cooling pads attached on all sides of the cooler, keeping the region hydrated and providing humid air output from the cooler.
But as time passes, the capacity of these cooler pads to hold water decreases gradually. Also, the pads start to smell due to continuous moisture contact apart from other deformities. Ultimately, the pads won’t be usable anymore, and you will have to find a replacement before the summer starts. Before you can do that, you need to keep these factors in mind.
- Size: The size of the swamp cooler pad is its most important factor when it comes to compatibility and the required cooling coverage area. A larger cooler pad is required for large coolers as it offers more surface area for moisture evaporation, offering better performance with large water coolers. However, if the cooler is too large for the room, it might end up making the room a lot more humid than what’s necessary, making the surrounding environment sweatier than usual. So, you need to choose the proper size of the cooling pad according to your cooler size.
- Thickness: The thickness of the cooling pad is also one of the core factors that affect its performance as well as cooling efficiency. When observed carefully, you will notice that a thicker cooling pad contains more fibers and the resulting pad volume is also larger. So, it is capable of absorbing more water at once, offering more moisture evaporation when the cooler is active. But, thicker swamp cooler pads are also a bit difficult to clean and maintain.
- Material: Lastly, you need to check the material of the swamp cooler pads and check which material is offering the best results in your case. As you can imagine, there are a lot of options on the market that offer different results. Hence, not all options can be ideal for different surrounding temperatures and humidity levels. You will most commonly find swamp cooler pads made up of cellulose, Aspen, or synthetic materials such as PVC and polyester. Each of these options has some advantages as well as limitations so make the choice wisely.
Today, we will discuss the best options for a swamp cooler pad. Even though these swamp pads are readily available in almost any hardware shop or a water cooler distribution center, you have probably already tried a lot of options from the retail market and are unsatisfied by their limited reliability and performance. To offer you the best option from a handful of trusted brands, we have prepared this list of the best swamp cooler pads. You can also check out our “Buying Guide” for the best swamp cooler pads to get a better idea about how these cooler pads work and what you should know before you buy one.
Best Swamp Cooler Pads Chart
Best Swamp Cooler Pads Reviews
In the 1st place, we are putting the Lennox Healthy Climate #35 Water Panel Evaporator. Like many other variants of swamp cooler pads designed by the brand, this option is also one of the most trusted and reliable choices we have on this list today. This swamp cooler pad measures about 30 x 10 inches in size, and it is nearly 1.75 inches thick. With this thickness, it offers excellent moisture absorption as well as evaporation quality. And as for the material, this swamp pad comprises the OEM material you get with a brand-new cooler.
So once you replace your damaged swamp cooler pads with this one, you will get the original performance and efficiency of the cooler back. Apart from that stock cooler model, this swamp cooler pad is also compatible with many other popular cooler models, such as HCWB3-17, HCWB3-17k, HCWB3-17A, and HCWB3-17AK. So, compatibility and installation won’t be much of a problem with this cooler pad.
- Measures about 30 x 10 inches in size
- It is nearly 1.75 inches thick
- Made up of factory original OEM material
- Compatible with HCWB3-17, HCWB3-17k, HCWB3-17A, and HCWB3-17AK models
- Most popular and trusted choice for a swamp cooler pad
- Compatible with various models of a swamp air cooler
- Comparatively budget choice than a few other options
- A few options are a bit cheaper in comparison
Honeywell is also one of the brands that almost everyone is familiar with since it produces a wide range of home accessories and conditioning systems, especially HVAC controllers. And just like most other options, this swamp cooler pad from Honeywell is also pretty cheap.
In the 2nd position, we have the Honeywell HC26A1008 replacement swamp cooler pad for HE260 and HE360 cooler models. Since these options are quite popular on the market, many users would find them ideal for their application. And if you wish to check the compatibility, just make sure that your cooler can work with 13 x 10.25 inches cooler pads. Coming to the thickness of the pad, this swamp cooler pad is nearly 1.5 inches thick, which is pretty good for dry and hot surroundings.
Apart from offering an efficient performance and relaxing environment inside your house, this swamp cooler pad is also in charge of reducing various contaminants and harmful content from the air such as dust, bacteria, viruses, etc. So, it will maintain a healthy and hygienic environment inside your house. This is also one of the most durable choices on our picks, as it has an Aluminum base covered with the swamp cooler pad material for best reliability.
- Measures about 13 x 10.25 inches in size
- It is nearly 1.5 inches thick
- Made up of Aluminum base with coating
- It also eliminates contaminants and harmful elements in the air
- Cheapest option for a swamp cooler pad
- Size is pretty good for basic applications
- Compatible with HE260 and HE360 cooler models
- Compatibility might be an issue for some buyers
Our 3rd choice for the best swamp cooler pads is the DIAL 3074 Dura Cool swamp cooler Pad. This cooler pad is made up of foamed polyester material, making it a synthetic option. And as you may already know, these options offer the best protection against organic buildup on the pads such as fungus or algae. And if you take a close look at the surface of the cooler pad, you will notice that the fibers of the pad are very dense, increasing its overall moisture absorption capacity.
So, the DIAL 3074 swamp cooler Pad will last longer than any other options you will find around this price range. With the fine fiber design, the cooler pad doubles its functionality as an air filter, keeping the intake air clean, pure, and odorless. Dial also ensures no shrinkage, sagging, or wear and tear of the surface of the cooler pad, even after prolonged usage. This swamp cooler pad measures about 30 x 36 inches in size and is about 2 inches thick, making it one of the larger options on this list.
- Measures about 30 x 36 inches in size
- It is nearly 1.2 inches thick
- Made up of foamed polyester
- Dense fiber design for better performance
- Pretty good option in terms of design and performance
- Comparatively more efficient than standard swamp cooler pads
- Comparatively larger option than other choices
- Relatively difficult to wash and clean
Even though most standard swamp coolers need thinner swamp cooler pads, there are a few models that only work with thicker models. If you also need a thicker swamp cooler pad, you should check out this option from Champion Cooler.
The Champion Cooler 110133-2 swamp cooler pad is our next pick for this list of the best swamp cooler pads. As you may have noticed, this is the thickest option we have included on this list, offering nearly 8 inches of thickness. And as for the size, the cooler pad measures about 28.28 x 41.25 inches in size. So, you will definitely get a very high water absorption rate on this cooler pad. It also offers a pretty good design quality since it is made up of premium CELdek material.
Even with the high thickness, the Champion Cooler 110133-2 maintains an airflow of about 6400 CFM, making it an ideal choice for high-capacity swamp air coolers. With the added thickness, it also gains the advantage of a strong and rigid design that does not get damaged easily, even after months of usage. The multi-layer design of the cooler pad also makes it a highly efficient choice for a wide range of applications.
- Measures about 28.28 x 41.25 inches in size
- It is nearly 8 inches thick
- Made up of Premium CELdek material
- Certified by Greenguard
- One of the most reliable choices for a swamp cooler pad
- Strong and durable design with the highest thickness on this collection
- Maintains about 6400 CFM airflow
- Not the best option for basic swamp cooler models
Moving to the premium range of options for a swamp cooler pad, we have a couple of great choices listed right here. The following option from Aspen Snow Cool is also one of our premium choices since it is made up of better material.
The PPS #46IP Aspen Cooler Pad is also a relatively larger choice on the market for a swamp cooler pad. This unit measures about 29 x 29 inches in size, and it is also 8 inches thick, just like our last pick. And the material of this swamp cooler pad is also comparatively better than what you get with budget options. This swamp cooler pad is made up of pure Aspen Snow-Cool excelsior, which is rated for nearly 7% better cooler air output and much better reliability in terms of cooler pad quality.
The open cellular structure of the cooler pad makes it possible to have a high amount of airflow through the pads along with an increased water absorption capacity, increasing the humidification capacity of the cooler. And since it requires lesser water flow, it also manages to reduce the overall running cost of the swamp cooler and allows you to operate the machine with a lower-powered motor. And most importantly, the biodegradable stitchings of the unit avoid problems like dry and hot spots on the surface of the cooler pad.
- Measures about 29 x 29 inches in size
- It is nearly 1.5 inches thick
- Made up of pure Aspen Snow-Cool excelsior
- Open cellular structure for better airflow
- Exclusive Grid-Flo stitching to avoid further problems
- It is one of the tickets swamp cooler pads
- Made up of a high premium material
- Very expensive choice for domestic applications
Our last choice for the best swamp cooler pads comes from PPS Packaging. The PPS Packaging Aspen Cooler Pad is also one of the cheapest options on this list today. But you will get the efficiency and reliability of Aspen material on this cooler pad which is usually available with premium options. And it is also quite a large swamp cooler pad, measuring about 32 x 36 inches in size. However, this cooler pad is designed for low-powered swamp coolers since it is only 1 inch thick.
The PPS Packaging Aspen Cooler Pad also offers similar features and benefits as our last pick from the brand. This cooler pad will also offer nearly 7% cooler air output with support for low-powered motors. And with the increased airflow capacity, you will get a much faster cooling performance, especially when installed on coolers working inside a small room. So with a lower initial investment, this swamp cooler pad also manages to lower the overall running costs of your swamp air cooler.
- Measures about 32 x 36 inches in size
- It is nearly 1 inches thick
- Overall lower running costs of the cooler
- Made up of Aspen material
- Brings the benefits of Aspen material
- Quite a large option for a swamp cooler pad
- Each cooler pad is individually packed and shipped
- It is not as thick as most other options for a swamp cooler pad
Buying Guide For The Best Swamp Cooler Pads
There are a lot of options available out there when it comes to room temperature control and air conditioning. But, most of these options require a very high initial investment and come with expensive running costs that are simply too much to handle if you are planning to use the system for multiple hours throughout the day. The best alternative to such systems is a simple yet effective evaporative air cooler. These coolers only need a fan and an effective swamp cooler pad to keep your entire room humid and cool.
The only downside of using an evaporative swamp cooler pad instead of an air conditioner is the added maintenance. You will have to replace the swamp cooler pads of these coolers from time to time to maintain their efficiency and cooling capacity. If you are planning to replace the pads right now, you should consider checking out our buying guide for the best swamp cooler pads before you buy a set. In this guide, we will cover the most important factors of these cooler pads so that you can make the right choice without much difficulty.
The first thing that you need to focus on before you start looking for available options for a swamp cooler pad is the overall size and edge-to-edge dimensions of the pad. The size is probably the only factor that makes a unit compatible with your evaporative cooler. If you end up with a larger swamp cooler pad, you will have to make some additional adjustments to fit the unit in your cooler such as trimming the edges a little bit.
But in the case of a smaller cooler pad, even that is not an option. So, it is always better to measure the dimensions of the cooler you own and make a choice accordingly. You can also refer to your existing swamp cooler pad to find an ideal replacement.
Apart from the size of the pad, its thickness is also a factor that can alter its performance and overall efficiency. Upon closer observation, you will realize that a thicker swamp cooler pad has more fibers. So, the moisture absorption capacity of a thicker cooler pad is also a lot higher. And since there is more volume of water getting absorbed by the cooler pad, the more moisture your cooler can distribute as long as you keep the water supply on.
Even though a thicker swamp cooler pad would seem like an ideal choice for most users, it also has a few disadvantages. For starters, it can make the room overly humid and uncomfortable. On top of that, thicker swamp cooler pads are also a lot more difficult to clean and require a more powerful motor for sufficient water supply.
The material of the swamp cooler pad is yet another one of the factors which have a major effect on the application of the product as well as its efficiency in varying weather conditions. As you may already know, even summer is not the same in all regions throughout the country. While it is way too hot and hot in some regions, some places have similar temperatures along with increased humidity, such as seashores.
So, the same material of a swamp cooler pad cannot be ideal in both conditions. There are a handful of options for you to choose from for the material of the swamp cooler pad, such as Cellulose pads, Aspen pads, or synthetic material pads such as PVC, Polyester, or polypropylene. Out of these options, cellulose is the most common and cheaper alternative which is quite easy to replace. However, synthetic options offer much better protection against bacteria or fungus growth.
If you are looking for a high-performance swamp cooler pad, the most important factors that you need to check are its moisture absorption rate and evaporation rate. For a swamp cooler pad, both of these properties need to be high so that it can contribute more volumes of moisture to the passing year per unit of time. If a swamp cooler pad can absorb and evaporate quickly, you won’t have to worry about running to the cooler for a long time before you start to feel the temperature of the room going down and the humidity going up.
Also, the overall performance of the swamp cooler pad depends upon its airflow capacity. Even with high evaporation and absorption rate, it won’t be of much use if air cannot pass through the gaps of the fibers on the swamp cooler pad.
5. Installation and Maintenance
Since swamp cooler pads are something that you will be replacing quite frequently, you should choose an option that is fairly easy to install and remove. Almost all evaporative air coolers feature external attachments for the cooler pads so that they can be easily removed and cleaned or replaced. And pairing such coolers with a similarly easy-to-install and remove swamp cooler pad simply makes the combination ideal.
Apart from that, you should also remember that you need to clean the swamp cooler pads every now and then if you wish to extend the life of the cooler pad. A dirty swamp cooler pad will cause blockage to the airflow and severely affect the overall efficiency of your evaporative air cooler.
Lastly, we will suggest you look into the warranty period offered by the manufacturer before you make a choice, just to be on the safe side. Even though most of these options are not that expensive, to begin with, you probably don’t want to waste more time in finding a good replacement for the swamp cooler pad anytime soon. And it is only possible if you choose a decent swamp cooler pad right now.
All of the options that we have selected for this list of the best swamp cooler pads are backed by positive customer reviews and designed by popular brand choices on the market. So, you will surely get an assurance of quality and reliability with each of the options that we have discussed on this list. Having a warranty period also provides you with an assurance of replacement in case you receive a faulty set of swamp cooler pads.
Swamp Cooler Pads FAQS
Ans: The most common option for the material of a swamp cooler pad is Aspen. These pads are typically made up of wood fibers and thus offer a pretty great moisture absorption capacity. And still, these options are comparatively cheaper than most of its competitors. Other popular options for swamp cooler pads are designed with materials like cellulose, PVC, or mineral wool.
Ans: There are many different factors that can affect the frequency of replacement for your swamp cooler pads such as cooler usage, surrounding conditions, and the maintenance procedure followed for cleaning the cooler pads. It also varies for different types of materials used for a swamp cooler pad. For example, an Aspen swamp cooler pad needs to be replaced about once every year whereas cellulose or synthetic options can survive much longer with proper cleaning and maintenance.
Ans: Proper airflow is one of the key requirements of a swamp cooler pad. Without proper airflow and fresh air intake, the cooler will simply make the room overly humid and somewhat unbearable after a few hours. So unlike an air-conditioned room, you will need to keep a window or door open if you are using a swamp air cooler. It also helps a lot if you are placing the cooler near a window as it can intake more volumes of fresh air without any problem. Blocked airflow can also cause an annoying odor in the room which is typically caused by reused water.
Ans: Though swamp coolers or evaporative coolers rely on the evaporation of water to maintain the humidity levels in the room, there are a lot of options on the market that offer dual functionality. Almost all options allow you to use the swamp cooler without turning on the water supply. In such a case, you will get dry and room-temperature air from the cooler, which is enough in some cases. But, you need to make sure that the motor of the swamp air cooler is also turned off if there is no water in the storage tank. Otherwise, the motor would run dry and burn out before you can take action.
Ans: While swamp air coolers are pretty much what you need on normal summer days, they might not be as effective in the peak summer time, when the temperature reaches up to 100 degrees. If the surrounding air is too hot and dry, there is little a swamp cooler can do to offer a change. In such a case, you will need a portable or fixed air conditioner to ensure a satisfying and comfortable environment inside your house.
We hope that you now know all the important factors about a swamp cooler pad and can make the right choice based on the information provided here. In this guide for the best swamp cooler pads, we have enlisted the best options that you can find on the market right now with a brief review of the product as well as its best features, pros, and cons. So, you can easily compare multiple options within your budget and make the right choice. And if you haven’t used a swamp cooler pad before, you can refer to our buying guide for the best swamp cooler pad and make a decision based on the information provided there. As you may already know, choosing the right type of swamp cooling pad is essential to ensure the proper and efficient functioning of the swamp air cooler. Furthermore, we have some handpicked recommendations for this list that you should check out before you buy one.
- Honeywell Swamp Cooler Pad is one of the highly recognized brands on the market for home care and air conditioning-related devices. So, it also has a cheaper alternative for a swamp cooler pad that is definitely the best option at this price point. The Honeywell HC26A1008 Replacement Humidifier Pad is specifically designed for the HE260 and HE360 air coolers, which are quite popular. This swamp cooler pad measures about 1.5 x 13 x 10.25 inches in size and is made up of the Factory’s original OEM material. So, you will get the same performance from these pads as brand-new Honeywell swamp cooler pads.
- On the other hand, if you are sure that basic options for swamp cooler pads are not the best options in your case, you need to go with the MasterCool Swamp Cooler Pad. The MasterCool Rigid Media Pad is the thickest option that you can find right now for a swamp cooler pad. This is an 8 inches wide swamp cooler pad that offers a very high moisture absorption rate. And still, it maintains up to 6400 CFM airflow speed, which is also quite high. As for the material, the MasterCool Rigid Media Pad is made up of strong and durable premium CELdek media to offer reliable and efficient performance.
- In the end, we will recommend the Lennox Swamp Cooler Pad since it is trusted by thousands of evaporative cooler owners because of its performance and efficiency. This swamp cooler pad is a replacement unit designed for the Lennox Healthy Climate humidifier. Apart from that, it is also compatible with various other popular air cooler models such as HCWB3-17, HCWB3-17k, HCWB3-17A, etc. as for the size, this swamp cooler pad measures about 30 x 10 inches in size.