Water is one of the basic survival needs for humans. When it comes to consuming water, it must be free of contaminants and impurities. With processes like water filtration, the solid impurities from the water are easily removed. The water distillation process is important to make the water pure at the microscopic level. For this sole purpose, water distillers are used.
Water distillers are devices that work on the basic principle of condensation. By heating the water, it is first turned into steam. This steam is further condensed by lowering its temperature, resulting in distilled water formation. Since this process is crucial for proper distillation, various factors play a vital role. Some of these factors are discussed below.
- Rated power: As an electrical device, every water distiller has a certain power rating. This rating specifies the power required by the heating coil to heat a certain amount of water. Measured in Watts, it is usually written on the body of the water distiller or specification manual. The rated power also affects the overall consumption of the water distiller.
- Capacity: A water distiller should have water storage where distilled water is kept after distillation. A water distiller with good storage capacity will always have a certain volume of distilled water available whenever required. The storage capacity also influences the size of the water distiller since a larger tank will need more space.
- Material: material governs the overall strength of the distiller’s body. With the help of good-quality materials, a water distiller will last long. The material must possess certain properties which help in rescuing strain over the body of the distiller. Along with strength, it must resist corrosion and withstand higher temperatures too.
By understanding these factors, selecting a good water distiller becomes easy. Since the market for water filtration and distillation equipment is huge, it can be confusing to narrow down the best option. This article will walk you through some of the best water distillers that fit your requirements. A “Buying Guide” is also explained to understand the importance of some governing factors further.
Best Water Distiller Tabulation
Best Water Distiller Reviews
The Megahome Countertop Water Distiller easily blends with other kitchen appliances. This unit has undergone various tests by UL and approved for safety. Built with 304 stainless steel material, this water distiller can withstand higher water and steam temperatures. It has a power rating of 580 Watts, which helps heat the water at 212 degrees Fahrenheit. This unit has a distillation rate of over 1 gallon every 5.5 hours.
It can be paired with charcoal-activated filters to further remove any remaining contaminant. To store the distilled water, it has a built-in storage tank of 4 liters capacity. To pour the distilled water, a porcelain-lined nozzle is provided. With the help of a power cable, the distiller can be connected to a 110-120 V power outlet. Other accessories like a glass bottle, activated charcoal refills, and a boiling chamber cleaner are also provided with the unit.
- The maximum power rating of 580 Watts
- Made up of 304 stainless steel
- Overall distillation rate of 1 gallon per 5.5 hours
- Storage capacity of 4 liters
- The maximum working temperature of 212 degrees Fahrenheit
- Charcoal-activated filters
- Compatible with 110-120V power outlets
- It has an effective distillation process with lower energy consumption
- The automatic shutdown feature helps in saving energy and prevents damage to the tiller
- It comes with a 1-year warranty
- The unit is priced higher than other options
The Mophorn Pure Water Distiller has a compact and portable construction. It has a power rating of 750 Watts, which helps in heating the water. This power rating helps deliver a distillation rate of a quarter gallon per hour and 6 gallons of water per day. To store the distilled water, a 4-liter storage tank is fitted inside the body. It also features built-in filters with reusable cartridges. The unit can be used for domestic, medical, or other types of applications.
An aluminum fan is fitted in the distiller’s body to allow faster distilled water cooling. This unit is made up of higher-grade 304 stainless steel, enhancing the body’s overall strength. The inner coils and tanks are also made up of the same material to endure high temperatures and avoid the formation of scales. With an automatic shutdown feature, the water distiller stops heating when the temperature reaches 115 degrees Celsius.
- The overall power rating of 750 Watts
- A maximum distillation rate of a quarter gallon per hour and 6 gallons a day
- Water storage tank with 4 liters capacity
- Integrated aluminum fan for faster condensation
- Built-in filters with reusable cartridges
- 304 stainless steel construction
- Automatic shutdown feature with 115-degree celsius limit
- It has a lightweight and compact design, suitable for limited space
- It comes with overheating and dry-burning protection to prevent damage
- It has a user-friendly design which helps in the transportation of the water distiller
- The plastic container develops creeps over long usage
The CO-Z Water Distiller is a countertop unit. It has a compact construction made up of 304 stainless steel materials. This unit has a power rating of 750 Watts which results in faster heating of water. Paired with the activated carbon filters, this unit can easily reach a distillation rate of 0.3 gallons per hour. The output water has 6 ppm quality that is beneficial for drinking and other applications. You can store the treated water in the 1-gallon capacity tank.
It features a built-in fan that efficiently cools down the steam, allowing condensation of vapor. To avoid overheating the water distiller, it has an automatic shutdown feature. The water distiller stops heating the water beyond 302 degrees Fahrenheit. A cleaning powder is also provided with the distiller to remove any type of limescale buildup on the boiling chamber walls.
- The maximum power rating of 750-Watts
- Efficient water distillation rate of 0.3 gallons per hour
- Activated carbon filter for filtration up to 6 ppm level
- A water storage tank of 4 liters capacity
- Automatic shutdown at 302 degrees Fahrenheit
- A built-in fan for effective cooling of steam
- It has a rubber base that offers good grip over the mounted surface
- The unit comes with cleaning powder to remove any residue from the boiling chamber
- It comes with a 1-year warranty
- It does not come with an adjustable heating timer
Being a manufacturer of water distillation solutions, DC House has developed a range of products. These products are developed by keeping the “eco-friendly factor” in mind. The products possess a good-quality and have been tested for various scenarios.
The DC HOUSE Water Distiller effectively removes the impurities and contaminants from water. This unit is made up of food-grade 304 stainless steel, which is strong and safe for water treatment. With a power rating of 750 watts, this water distiller easily heats water and converts it into steam. The distillation rate of this unit goes up to a gallon of water every 4 hours with minimal use of electricity. A built-in fan takes care of the condensation process.
The distilled water is collected in a storage container of 4 liters capacity. To assure complete filtration, it has a polypropylene liner filter that distils water up to a TDS value of 0 ppm. All the materials used in this unit can withstand the working temperature of -20 to 130 degree Celsius. It comes with an on/off power switch with provisions for the automatic or manual shutdown of the distiller.
- A maximum power rating of 750 Watts
- Made up of 304 food-grade stainless steel
- The overall water distillation rate of 1 gallon every 4 hours
- A 4-liter water storage tank
- Built-in fan for efficient condensation
- Polypropylene liner filter with 0 to 2 ppm TDS filtration
- The overall working temperature of -20 to 130 degree Celsius
- Come with a residue cleaner
- It is suitable for domestic as well as commercial applications like cafe
- It is compatible with most standard power outlets
- It comes with a 1-year warranty
- It has a slower distillation process
The Eco-Worthy Water distiller is also a countertop unit. This water distiller has an effective distillation process that removes TDS and other impurities from hard water. With a rated power of 750 Watts, water is easily heated to its boiling point. The water distiller thereby distills 1 gallon of water within 4 hours. The heating process is so efficient that distilled water is available with lower energy expenditure.
All the distilled water is collected into a 4-liter capacity storage container, to make water available whenever needed. The body of this water distiller is made up of 304 stainless steel for sturdy build quality. An aluminum fan is placed over the boiling chamber to condense the water vapors. It also features a small LCD screen that displays the heating timer.
- Water distiller with TDS removal filters
- The maximum power rating of 750 Watts
- Overall distillation rate of 1 gallon every 4 hours
- Stainless steel construction
- Aluminum fan for effective cooling of water
- Integrated LCD screen with timer display
- It has a user-friendly design which helps in easy cleaning
- Tracking of the heating time can be done via an integrated display
- It comes with a 1-year warranty
- It does not specify the type of filter used inside which makes it harder for refilling
Vevor specializes in various types of equipment and tools. It manufactures a wider range of water distillation products that exceed customer expectations. The products are made up of good-quality materials and built to last long.
The Vevor Water Dislitter also has a compact design that helps place the unit anywhere. It features an aluminum heating plate of 750 Watts power that helps in boiling the water. The water distiller can treat over 1.3 liters of water every hour and over 31.2 liters of water every day. The distillation process effectively dissolves any suspended solids or impurities, making the water suitable for consumption. The distilled water is collected in a 4-liter capacity plastic container.
Made with food-grade 304 stainless steel, the water distiller body is capable of enduring higher temperatures. The water distiller can be manually switched to multiple distillation processes. It is controlled via a thermostat which automatically shuts down after reaching 115 degrees Celsius. It also features a 4-blade aluminum fan for efficient heat dissipation. Replaceable carbon filters and cleaning powers are also provided.
- Water distiller with a rated power of 750 Watts
- A maximum distillation rate of 1.3 letters every hour and 31.2 liters every day
- A water storage container with a capacity of 4 liters
- Made up of food-grade 304 stainless steel
- 4-blade aluminum fan for faster condensation of vapors
- Thermostatically controlled automatic shutdown at 115 degrees Celsius
- Replaceable carbon filters
- It is suitable for domestic as well as commercial applications
- It has a wider operational temperature range which ensures efficient boiling of water
- It is priced cheaper than other options
- The design of this unit is very simple and does not fit with modern kitchens
The Rovsun Water Distiller has a user-friendly design to refill the water easily. It also sports a sturdy construction made up of 304 stainless steel. Being a food-grade material, the steel does not pollute distilled water. It features a 750-Watt heating element, which quickly boils the water. The water is distilled at a rate of over 1 liter every hour and collected in a 4-liter capacity container.
For added safety, the heating process automatically shutdowns once the distillation process is over. Various accessories like charcoal filters and cleaning powders are provided with this distiller for the maintenance process. Due to the wider opening of the distiller, the cleaning process becomes easier.
- Compact water distiller with a rated power of 750 Watts
- Efficient distillation of 1-liter water every hour
- Shock-proof glass container with a capacity of 4 liters
- Sturdy construction made up of food-grade stainless steel
- Automatic shutdown feature to avoid overheating
- Charcoal filters and cleaning powder included
- The inner walls of the boiling chamber do not develop limescale
- The storage container does not crack even after a longer usage
- This unit comes with a 1-year warranty
- The distillation process might be slower in the case of multiple distillations
ZBPRESS is also a manufacturer of water distillation products. It uses newer technologies to make reliable products at an affordable price range. With the help of minimalist designs, the products easily blend with other kitchen appliances.
The ZBPRESS Pure Water Distiller features an aluminum heating coil of 750 Watts rating. This heating coil easily boils the water to produce steam. The efficient condensation process helps in producing over 1.5 liters of water every hour. It is made up of 304 stainless steel material which offers the necessary strength and avoids the build-up of scales on the walls. The distilled water is stored in a 4-liter capacity container.
To avoid overheating or dry burning of the coil, the water distiller automatically shuts down at 160 degree Celsius. The filters used for these water distillers are easy to wash and eliminate the need for buying replacement filter cartridges. It is also tested and approved with a ROHS CE certificate for safer operation.
- An aluminum heating coil with a rated power of 750 watts
- The maximum distance rate of 1.5 liters every hour
- A water storage container with a capacity of 4 liters
- Stainless steel construction
- Automatic shutdown feature at 160 degrees Celsius
- Certified with various safety ratings
- It has a good operational temperature range which allows efficient boiling of water
- The TDS removal rate of this unit is good
- The materials used for this unit are high-quality and offer the best resistance against rusting and lime scaling
- The filter of this unit needs frequent cleaning
Buying Guide For The Best Water Distiller
The distillation process has already been proven effective for water purification. Water distillers are being used popularly for their advantages over normal water purifiers. We have already gone through a detailed list of the best water distillers available. To further understand the technical aspects of a few factors, we recommend you go through this buying guide. It helps understand these factors and their relation with the water distiller’s performance.
1. Rated Power
The rated power of a water distiller is the required amount of electricity it needs for operation. This rated power is usually measured in Watts or Kilowatts units. This factor has a major impact on the overall performance of the water distiller. Energy is needed to heat the water to produce steam. Higher-rated power helps in the transfer of higher amounts of electricity.
A distiller with higher rated power will need less time to distal water than a unit with lower rated power. The high-rated power also increases the overall consumption of electricity. It impacts the overall running cost of the distiller. Hence, a proper study of the required power rating and requirement must be done before buying the water distiller.
The capacity of a water distiller is important since it essentially impacts water availability. A water distiller’s capacity refers to the amount of distilled or processed water it can hold at a time. Distillers are available in various capacity ranges, from smaller to larger units. For industrial or commercial use, the distillers have a capacity of several gallons. If you need a distiller for your restaurant or cafeteria, a unit with a large capacity will be ideal. Since domestic applications need lower amounts of distilled water, a small capacity unit is enough. Usually, the 4 liter or higher capacity distillers are popularly used for domestic use. You must also consider the overall size of the distiller since higher capacity units will be larger in size.
Material selection is equally important while building a water distiller. Apart from providing the required strength to the distiller’s body, it also contributes to its durability. The body of the distiller is made up of various materials like stainless steel, aluminum, plastic, etc. Each material has its own properties and advantages. Hence the placement of the material is equally important.
Stainless steel is commonly used in distillers for being a corrosion-resistant material. It is also a good conductor of heat which helps in the heating process. Aluminum is a lightweight alternative to stainless steel material. It also possesses properties similar to the stainless tells with a lighter body weight. To store the water, materials like polycarbonates or other plastics are also used. These materials are chosen by keeping the safety of water in mind. Using cheaper quality plastic can cause the adulteration of treated water.
4. Filtration Process
To remove the remaining contaminants, the distillation process is further combined with a filtration process. A distiller must remove all the impurities from the water before supplying it to the user. These impurities include all heavy metals, bacteria, viruses, chemicals, etc. The filtration process is divided into two types: a single-stage and a multi-stage process. In the single stage, water is passed through the filter only one time.
In multi-stage filtration, water is passed through various filters that remove specific types of contaminants. Various types of filters like UV light filters, carbon filters, etc. are used for the filtration process. The quality of these filters also affects the filtration process since a good quality filter will effectively work for a long time. The contamination level of the inlet water must be checked to detect the need for certain filters.
5. Safety Factor
A water distiller must offer a good performance along with necessary safety measures. Since the distillation process involves boiling water, the construction of the distiller must sustain higher temperatures. Along with this, the distiller must be checked for corrosion and wear resistance. Being an electrical device, it must come with proper safety ratings.
These ratings are provided by various testing organizations (government or third-party). The distiller is tested for various conditions to ensure safer operation in real-life applications. Safety features like automatic power shut-off or overheating protection keep the distiller from damage. The design is done in a way to offer maximum protection to the user against electrocution hazards.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ans: When water from the connected source is fed to the distiller, it goes to the boiling chamber. With the help of enough heat, the boiling water is converted into steam. The steam is passed to a condenser while the impurities are left behind. This steam is then condensed and converted into pure water. It can be further passed through various filters to remove other materials too.
Ans: The distilled water requirement for commercial and domestic applications is different. Hence these units are designed differently to deliver specific output. The power rating of commercial units is usually higher than that of domestic distillers. They also have storage tanks with a larger capacity to hold more water.
Ans: The water distiller improves the overall quality of the drinking water. It not only filters out the impurities from water but also removes unwanted micro-elements that can be harmful to humans. The distilled water is beneficial for various equipment too since it prevents the buildup of minerals on metallic surfaces.
Ans: The replacement of filters is done after a specified time to keep the filtration process efficient. The frequency of replacement is also dependent on the overall wear of the filter elements. Usually, filters used for heavily contaminated water are replaced within months of usage. Some filters are designed to be reusable along with refills.
Water distillers are an important addition to your homes. Due to an efficient purification process, these devices filter the contaminated water making it safe to drink or use. This article includes a list of all the best water distillers available in the market, along with their detailed specifications. The buying guide further helps you understand the importance of governing factors. The FAQs section deals with the confusion related to the water distiller. With the help of this discussion, we have chosen our favorite options from the list.
- If your application needs frequent use of distilled water, the ZBPRESS Water Distiller is the right choice. With the help of a 750-Watt aluminum heating coil, over 1.5 liters of water is distilled within an hour. It features a storage container of 4 liters capacity, making water available whenever needed. Since it is made up of stainless steel, there is no problem with limescale formation. With safety features like automatic shutdown at 160 degree Celsius, the distiller is kept away from damage. It is also tested and certified by safety organizations, making it safe for users.
- For limited budgets, the VEVOR Water Distiller provides efficient water distillation. It also features a 750-Watt heating coil that quickly boils the water. With the help of a 4-blade aluminum fan, faster condensation is achieved. As a result, a distillation rate of 1.3 liters per hour is achieved. This distilled water is stored in a plastic container of 4-liter capacity. For added safety against overheating, it automatically shutdown at 115 degrees Celsius temperature. The carbon filters help in removing suspended solid pollutants. All these features are available with a very lower price tag, compared to the other options.
- Our last option has been rated by various consumers for balanced performance and pricing. The Megahome Water Distiller has a modern design and is rated with UL for safety. It features a 580-Watt coil that boils the water within minutes. The stream is condensed to achieve a distillation rate of 1 gallon per 5.5 hours. The distilled water is further stored in a 4-liter container. The reason for the higher rating is the efficient distillation of water through this unit. The working temperature range of 212 degrees Fahrenheit helps in eliminating TDS from water, making the water suitable for drinking. This unit is compatible with all the standard 120 Volt outlets. With good pricing and balanced pricing, this option is a value-for-money deal.