Company: General Electric
Job Description Summary
As a Control Systems engineer you will report to the Control Systems Manager. The successful candidate will be part of a highly motivated and dynamic team of engineers working on the system requirements, design & performance verification of Control and Protection functions for LCC and VSC HVDC schemes. The development of such Control & Protection systems is technically challenging and involves a variety of engineering disciplines, contribution through teamwork and an innovative approach.
As a Control Systems Engineer, you will be expected to model the DC system, the AC network equivalents, renewable systems ( wind parks, solar PV cells etc) in PSCAD, conversion or modelling of AC network equivalents in RSCAD, implement the control and protection application in MATLAB and interface to the control contract equipment to validate control and protection system.
- Support the business’ Tendering & Operations needs regarding:
- HVDC System modelling in PSCAD and RTDS.
- Renewable AC networks (Solar, Wind parks) modelling in PSCAD and RSCAD and its validation.
- Plant modelling in various simulation tools (MATLAB, PSCAD etc) and its verification.
- Dynamic performance studies using both offline and online simulation tools
- Algorithm and state machine development in MATLB Simulink
- Conversion of MATLB Simulink algorithms to PSCAD models
- Play a key role in engineering design reviews and technical leadership, identifying potential project risks and technical weaknesses and proposing safe, reliable and compliant solutions
- Understand the key milestones in a project plan, their financial impact and ensuring the technical risks are understood and mitigated in accordance with the plan
- Ensure that project plans contain the necessary activities and studies required to meet the requirements of the customer and the proposed technical solution
- Support improvements to existing algorithm/strategies for power fault recovery or instability issues during DPS studies
- Support development of new strategies for control, protection and sequencing (start-up/shut down sequence) to meet customer technical specifications if required
- Support continual improvement, raising the effectiveness and efficiency of the team through the introduction of tools, methods and process improvements and coordinating with the Continuous Improvement leaders
- Support a standard product methodology mindset, seek opportunities to re-use solutions, improve quality and reliability whilst reducing the delivery timeline and associated costs
- Promote collaboration between all projects and ensure Return of Experience is incorporated
- Uses some level of judgment and has ability to propose different solutions outside of set parameters.
Qualifications / Essential Requirements
- Engineering degree or equivalent including power systems and power electronics subjects or proven equivalent knowledge and experience in HVDC business
- Sense of urgency and ability to identify and manage technical risks
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, experienced in creating and presenting technical reports and responding to clients’ technical questions
- Ability to understand and communicate customer requirements
- Understanding of functional characteristics of power systems and interactions between AC and HVDC systems
- Knowledge of HVDC Control or Protections
- Strong background in at least in either of one or more (PSCAD, MATLAB and RSCAD) simulation tools.
- Able to work to deadlines under pressure whilst maintaining the safety, quality and engineering integrity of the solution
- Must be flexible with working hours and willing to travel in order to support projects globally
- Ability to define requirements and ensure they adhere to best practice
- Academic project working experience in HVDC technologies.