Reference design for a power bank with a fast charger of 5A along with MaxCharge and 3.1A boost operation.
Since the usage of smartphones has become common, it is not uncommon to run out of battery before going to bed. And to give that extra juice to phone’s battery, power banks have emerged as a boon to all. The power bank is a portable device which can hold some charge and charge the phone’s battery on the go.
TIDA-00589 from Texas Instruments (TI) is a reference design for a power bank with fast charging capability. The powerbank also features an adjustable-voltage, high efficiency 3.1 synchronous boost operation and features an ADC to provide system and battery monitoring.
Features of TIDA-00589 are:
- Support high voltage adaptor to achieve up to 5A charging current
- Adjustable-voltage high-efficiency 3.1A synchronous boost operation
- Input Current Optimizer (ICO) to best utilize the adaptor
- ADC to provide system and battery monitoring
- Both host control and autonomous charging when the host is not available
- Integrated low Rdson battery FET for long battery run time
This reference design has been tested by TI. It comes with comprehensive software, firmware libraries, tools, battery, etc. You can find additional data about the reference design on the company’s website. To read more about this reference design click here.