To make the most out of your limited space in RV you need furniture that can serve more than one purpose. Like an RV sofa bed that folds into a couch and unfolds into a bed.
Adding an RV sofa bed can make your living space more comfortable and convenient. Whether you frequently host guests or have more than two people living in an RV, your only option is a comfortable RV sofa bed.
If you are considering upgrading your old sofa with a sofa bed or replacing it with a new one, we have some cool options for you.
If you are in a hurry, here’s what you need to consider while buying an RV sofa bed.
- The size: The very first thing you need to consider is the size of the sofa bed. Measure how much space you have in your living area. Check both the bed size and the sofa bed to clearly understand the height, length, and depth of your new furniture. Check the size of your door to make sure it can get inside without any hassle involved.
- Frame Construction: Secondly, you need to consider the frame material. Usually, a hardwood frame is most recommended because they are the most durable one. If you can’t get one, go for metal ones. Metal frames are not bad either, in fact, they are more durable and sturdy than pliable wooden frames. However, steel frames can make the sofa bed weigh much more than you expect.
- Type of mattress: You have three to four different kinds of mattresses to choose from. The Jackknife sofa bed comes with a foldable mattress that can unfold into a flat mattress, the traditional hide-a-bed mattress that has a mattress inside which needs to be pulled out. The Tri-fold sofa beds easily fold into mattresses and inflatable air sofa beds.
Today in this article, we are reviewing the best sofa beds of different shapes, sizes, and prices so that you can choose the one that suits your needs the best. We also have included a “Buying Guide” at the end of this article.
Best Sofa Beds For RV Tabulation
Best Sofa Beds For RV Reviews
1. Best Choice Sofa Beds For RV
If you are looking for an inexpensive, easily convertible sofa bed that’s durable and portable then here’s your best bet. This faux leather modern-style sofa bed from Best Choice Products has over fourteen thousand reviews and ratings.
It is a metal leg foam mattress and comes with faux leather upholstery that looks very modern and stylish. With 3 -adjustable position settings, you can lounge in your favourite position. Even though it looks slim and sleek, the sofa bed has a 500-pound weight capacity, which means two people can easily fit in.
Instead of armrests, they have arm pillows that can be removed and used as pillows for lumbar support. There are also two cup holders in the middle. Installing it will be a breeze as it doesn’t weigh much. This looks very sleek and stylish and combines style with comfort.
Honestly speaking, within this price, you don’t even get a good quality chair, so considering the price, the value is huge. The only downside is the firm mattress, but you can always put a comfortable mattress topper top.
- 3 adjustable positions
- Room for two
- Removable armrests
- Two Cup holders
- Dimensions: 5″(L) x 65.25″(W) x 31″(H)
- Maximum weight capacity: 500 lbs
- Super easy to fold and unfold
- Comes with armrests, and cup holders
- Easy to install
- Value for price is huge
- Stands low for some people’s liking.
- The mattress is on the firm side
2. Serta Sofa Beds For RV
This convertible sofa bed fuses style with comfort. It features a modern but timeless design that will easily blend with any type of RV interior you have.
It has high-density foam padding, which provides both support and comfort. We love the hand-tufted back and seat along with the chrome legs. It comes with a hardwood frame, so you can be sure of the quality and durability, it’s going to last a pretty good time.
Folding and unfolding are easy, and easier is the installation as the only thing you need to do is attach the legs. The bed measures 66.1″ W x 37.6″ D x 15.1″ H when unfolded. It can be somewhat small for tall and big people. So, get your measurements done first. It doesn’t come with a bulky hardest and thus saves you some space.
The bed lies a little low for some people’s liking. Also, the maximum weight capacity is 300 pounds only which might not be sufficient for two adult men. Other than these two issues, it’s a solid buy. Also, the reason it’s so popular is because of the color vanities. There are 7 color options to choose from.
- Solid hardwood frame
- Metal legs
- High-density foam padding
- The Sofa Measures: 1″ W x 33.1″ D x 29.5″ H
- Bed Measures: 1″ W x 37.6″ D x 15.1″ H
- Easy to fold unfold
- Easy to install
- Low maintenance
- Durable hardwood frame
- Maximum weight capacity is 300 pounds which might not be ideal for two adult men
3. Intex Sofa Beds For RV
The inflatable mattress is the lightest and cheapest sofa of them all. Because you already live in a space crunch, they make great options for guests and for anyone who wants to save some space.
The inflatable mattress from Intex pull is the best option if you are looking for an air bed mattress with a sofa. Not only is the sofa bed super cheap but also quite large in size. When you unfold it, it turns into a queen size bed ideal for 2 adults and has a maximum weight capacity of 440 lbs.
We love the velvety surface that provides a comfortable surface to sleep on. There are 3 inflation and deflation valves for faster inflating and deflating. Because it’s super light in weight and easily movable, you can also place it under the RV awning if you want some additional space outside your RV.
You will need a pump to inflate it, and that’s not included in the product. But what’s interesting is the two cup holders at each end are provided for your convenience. And you can always deflate it and store it away from sight.
- Inflatable mattress
- 3 inflation and deflation valve
- 2 cup holders
- Maximum weight capacity: 440 lbs
- Dimensions: 80″L x 26″W x 91″Th
- Easy to inflate
- Highly portable
- Can be stored away
- Can be used outside the RV
- Sits low
- Inflatable mattresses don’t last very long
4. Signature Design Sofa Beds For RV
This is a traditional hide-a-bed style sofa bed designed for RV owners. It has got everything that makes a great RV sofa bed, including a memory foam mattress and 4 accent pillows. Anyone looking for super comfortable bedding should consider the Signature Design by Ashley.
Featuring a classical style, this steel grey-colored sofa has a suede-like texture and nail-headed trims. It unfolds into a queen size bed that can comfortably accommodate two people on a max. The plush cushion and mattress are wrapped in polyester, and the memory foam mattress inside provides comfort and support.
It has got a steel frame and pocket-coiled set cushions which feels incredibly soft and bouncy when it folds into a sofa. This not only looks good but is also quite large in size. It’s a little on the heavier side because of the steel frames, and pulling it inside the RV can be a difficult task, so get your measurements done first before you get the sofa.
The quality is superior, and the comfort is incredible. The only downside is its size and weight. If you have the space in your RV and want a sofa bed that feels remarkably comfortable, this one from Signature Design by Ashley is a great choice.
- Polyester upholstery
- Sued-like texture
- Steel frame
- Memory foam mattress
- Unfolds into a queen-size bed
- Good quality
- Feels incredibly comfortable
- Comes with 4 accent pillows
- Heavy weight
- Not portable
5. JOYHOM Sofa Beds For RV
RV owners if you are looking for something that’s multipurpose and serves more than a sofa bed, this is what you need to add in your motorhome.
The 4 in 1 folding sofa bed can be easily converted into a sofa, chair, bed, lounger, and ottoman to meet different needs. It has 5 locking adjustments that can be locked at 5 different angles so you can lounge, sleep and relax with your family and friends.
The transition from ottoman to bed just takes only a few seconds. It’s easy to convert. Even it comes with a lumbar pillow to support your back. As far as the built quality goes, it has a high-quality iron frame with a weight capacity of 350 lbs. The upholstery material used here is linen, which is breathable and comfortable.
Overall, all the customers were very satisfied with the build quality. It comes fully assembled, and you don’t need to go through any hassle of installment. Folding and unfolding are super easy and can be done by oneself. It’s comfortable, sturdy, and durable. From the price point of view, it can be a great addition to your rig.
- 4 in 1 sofa bed
- Can be turned into a sofa, bed, ottoman, and lunger
- Upholstery material linen
- Iron frame
- Maximum weight capacity 350 lbs
- Dimensions: 74″D x 37″W x 16″H
- Takes only 30 seconds to change positions
- Sturdy and durable
- The material is easy to clean
6. RecPro Sofa Beds For RV
Some people still like the comfort of traditional hide-a-bed sofa beds, if they fall in this category, you should definitely consider the RecPro 65” Loveseat.
The traditional style sofa bed comes with a full-size mattress inside which has to be pulled out. The one we are talking about comes with a memory foam mattress that’s 5 inches thick. Memory foam mattresses are best known for their comfort and support, so you can rest assured you are getting the best quality.
It has a faux leather finish which aids in effortless cleaning. Faux leather can resist water to some degrees hence you can always clean the sofa with a damp cloth if you ever spill anything.
It comes with removable brackets which can be locked into place on the sofa for easy installation. It has sturdy steel tube feet and the overall build quality is good. It weighs 198 pounds though, which means you are going to have a hard time moving it if you ever have to.
It comes with bulky armrests (arm width 6 inches) which are great for a sofa. Even the bed can comfortably accommodate 2 adults. Another bonus point, you get 4 color options to choose from.
- Traditional hide-a-bed sofa bed
- Memory foam mattress
- Faux leather upholstery
- Steel frame
- Comes in 4 colors
- Dimensions: 34″D x 65″W x 37″H
- Soft comfortable mattress
- Cozy and comfortable sofa
- Big armrest
- Easy to clean
- Installation can be difficult
7. THOMAS PAYNE Sofa Beds For RV
Jackknife sofas are best known for their versatility and ease of use. The THOMAS PAYNE jackknife sofa has a foldable mattress inside that can be easily converted into a bed for two.
It has high-density foam padded seats with a luxurious polyhyde finish outside. The sofa converts into a comfortable foam bed with just one move. The trifold sofa bed lays flat and has no annoying bars in the middle to poke through.
It features a metal alloy frame which is why it’s lighter in weight than a sofa bed with steel feet. The material polyhyde is very durable and low maintenance at the same time.
The padding is on the firmer side, so it’s best you put up a mattress topper on top. It’s built especially for RVs and size appropriately for easy installation.
- Jackknife sofa bed
- High-density foam interior
- Made of polyhyde fabric
- Aluminium alloy frame
- Bed measures: 68″ x 42″ x 8.5″ (W x D x H)
- Sofa measures: 68″ x 42″ x 8.5″ (W x D x H)
- Easy to install
- Easy to use
8. RecPro Putty Sofa Beds For RV
The sofa is almost 8 feet long making it one of the largest sofas for RV’s on our list as well as in the market. While it appears bulky, it’s a great option for people or families who are looking for a spacious sofa bed.
It comes in 3 boxes, and with removable brackets that take some time to install but once installed, you get this modular recliner sofa bed that has two recliner chairs at both ends that operates separately.
You will also enjoy the cup holders, which rest at the back of foldable chairs in between. You must think it will take all of your living space, but trust us, it’s designed for RVs and compact spaces. The recliner sofa bed features a “zero wall hugger” design which only requires a minimum of 3 inches of space behind it to fully recline.
The build quality is great, plus the polyurethane material on top makes it very easy to clean and maintain.
- Recliner sofa
- 8 feet long
- Comes in 3 boxes
- Cup holders
- Zero wall design
- Takes only 3 inches of clearance space
- 2 recliner chairs operates separately
- Cup holders
Buying Guide For Best RV Sofa Beds
There’s a lot to consider when it comes to RV sofa beds. Size is just one of the factors. You also need to consider factors like the frame material, ease of use, comfort, storage functions, etc. To help you narrow down your choices, we have included a full list of factors, or you can also say a buyer’s guide so that you can pick the best out of the rest for your use. We will start the list with the types of RV sofas available in the market.
1. The Types of Sofa Beds
- Jackknife Sofa: This type of sofa bed comes with a foldable mattress that can be unfolded into a flatbed when you want it. Today this is the most popular type of sofa bed because it’s easiest to fold and unfold. Most of them are lightweight and easily portable. They are also affordable, efficient, and convenient options. They can come with or without arms. You can choose one depending on the space you have.
- Traditional hide-a-bed: Most of the late-model RVs have a traditional hide-a-bed sofa. These sofa beds include a mattress inside that can be pulled out when you need to sleep. They are usually comfortable and don’t need a mattress topper. However, most of them include a steel frame. Thus they tend to be pretty heavyweight and difficult to move around.
- Tri-fold sofa beds: The best part of tri-fold sofa beds is that they offer more space than any other type. So tri-fold sofa beds are the best choice when you need enough space for two people sleeping on it. They easily fold and unfold and offer better comfort than jackknife sofa beds. The only downside is that they tend to be much heavier than their counterparts. That means it will be a little difficult for you to move it inside the RV.
- Inflatable hide-a-bed: For obvious reasons; the inflatable hide-a-beds are the lightest and cheapest of them all. They look very similar to traditional hide-a-bed sofas, but they have an inflatable mattress instead of a foam or spring mattress. They are becoming increasingly popular because of their customization ability and lightweight body that’s very easy to move and store. The only downside is that you will need to inflate them every time you prepare a bed for the guests.
The size, so the very first thing that you need to consider is the height, length, and depth of whichever sofa bed you are buying. Measure the area of your living space to get a clear idea of how much space you have. Measure your old sofa bed and how much space it used to occupy when unfolding.
If you don’t get the measurements right, buying a suitable sofa bed will be challenging. You also need to consider your RV’s door size. It’s necessary to measure your doorways and hallways because if the sofa bed doesn’t fit through it, it will not do any good to the buyer.
2. Frame Construction
So, the most important thing that you should be considering first, be it any kind of bed, is the frame quality. This determines how well your bed holds up your weight without breaking when you bounce and jump during traveling. This factor literally differentiates the cheaper ones from the top-tier ones.
The cheaper, more affordable options will have a metal frame.
Metal frames aren’t always bad for you, as they are incredibly sturdy and durable. If you must choose a metal frame, choose one with aluminum tubes instead of steel. Because these are lighter than steel and hold up the weight better than steel.
But the thing is, they can be uncomfortable. So, your best bet is to opt for a slightly more expensive hardwood frame.
Hardwood frames are also incredibly durable, and the best part is they come in various styles. These frames are durable and will probably outlast your metal frames without issues. However, you should maintain your distance from RV sofa beds made with pine or any other pliable wood.
In fact, it’s better to stick with metal frames rather than choose a frame made from pliable wood. If you choose one, trust us, you will regret it as you will replace it much sooner than expected.
3. The Mattress
The mattress quality is also important because it determines how comfortably you will sleep on it. Right now, memory foam is the most comfortable option. But they can be expensive. You can stick with any type of foam mattress you want just to make sure they are comfortable. One way to confirm is to check the reviews of the mattress that you are considering.
It’s always better to stay away from spring mattresses if you have back issues. Also, keep in mind that some RV sofa beds don’t come with a mattress at all. So, you can pick a suitable one depending on your comfort level.
While you can always buy a mattress topper to enhance your comfort level, that might extend your budget.
4. Storage Functions
Some RV beds come with in-built storage in their construction. It’s important because, in any way, living in an RV means limited space and limited access. Having extra storage means you can have more space under your bed to keep your items safe and secure.
But gains, not all RV sofas come with extra storage. Also, these special units come with a higher price tag. However, many rig owners think it’s worth paying a few extra dollars for some extra space in the RV.
5. Ease of Use
When it comes to convenience and ease of use, the jackknife and tri-fold sofa beds come on top. In fact, the traditional hide-a-bed style sofa beds have been replaced by these other two types of sofa beds primarily because they are much easier to fold and unfold.
The traditional hide-a-bed sofa beds have heavy mattresses that require more strength to lift them out. These are heavy-weight sofa beds that can be difficult to fold and unfold. As a matter of fact, cleaning them is also difficult because then you need to remove the mattress from the inside.
On the other hand, when we look at inflatable sofa beds, they are much lighter in weight and hence easier to lift. However, you will need some time to inflate and deflate them. Also, after deflating, you will have to fold them and store them away from sight.
So, in terms of convenience and ease of use, the jackknife sofa beds outperform the other types. When you need to use them, you can simply unfold them and prepare your bed with a nice set of pillows and other bedding.
Sofa beds are long-term investments, and having a warranty is crucial for any product that doesn’t come cheap. This is a way of assurance that your product is safe from potential damage.
After all, carrying one of these mattresses to fit inside a motorhome is not easy. These items are not uncommon to get damaged while installing them inside the rig. Therefore, having a warranty becomes necessary.
You can expect the sofa beds to come with at least a year of warranty. Some of the more expensive options can have extended policies which may include additional 5 years of warranty on the cushions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Ans: Regular sofa beds are simply not made for RV use. You might have to secure your residential sofa bed with tape, bungee cords, or seat belts, as they can move while driving. Still, it won’t be as secure as an RV sofa bed made for recreational vehicles. To avoid any potential concerns, it’s always a good idea to stick with high-quality RV sofa beds designed for RV life.
Ans: If taken good care, a good quality RV sofa bed can last for 7 to 10 years. This will vary depending on what quality sofa you buy and how you maintain them. It also depends on how much you use it. If you are a casual RV’er who takes only a few trips around the year, your sofa will probably last a good time. However, if you are a full-time RV traveler who spends full seasons living in the rig, your sofa bed will experience a lot more wear and tear.
Ans: To make your sofa bed more comfortable, you can consider adding items that are designed for additional comfort. It can be a pillow, mattress topper, foam pad, air mattress, and comforter.
RV sofa beds come in a wide variety of price ranges. The range can start from $100 and can go up to as much as $1000. The price range shouldn’t be the only factor of consideration. You should also keep in mind the various aspects that we have discussed above.
- You should definitely go for the Best Choice Sofa Beds For RV if you are looking for an affordable, easily portable option. It can be locked at 3 positions and has ample space for two people. We love the faux leather finish, which looks elegant and is easy to clean as well.
- If you are a fan of traditional hide-a-bed style sofa beds, then we suggest you go for the Signature Design Sofa Beds For RV. It can transform into a super comfortable bed with a memory foam mattress. We love the suede-like texture and plush cushions. It unfolds into a queen size bed and has enough space for two people to sleep on it.
- You can also consider the THOMAS PAYNE Sofa Beds For RV. It comes with a foldable mattress that pulls out into a comfortable bed for two. It features an alloy frame which is the reason it’s so lightweight and easily portable. In fact, the upholstery material, polyhyde, is incredibly durable and low-maintenance at the same time.